Obscure but Handy Tip Involving Rocks, Bricks, Broken Concrete, etc

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I only learned this a few years ago. It's hardly ever mentioned anywhere. So, reminded by a buncha doin' it myself this afternoon, I thought I'd spread the word.

Say you're planting a seedling. Or a new perennial you bought. Or a tomato transplant from the store. Or whatever.

Get a rock or brick or chunk of broken-up concrete, ideally at least grapefruit size, bigger is better. Put it on the ground on the W (if you mainly want to protect vs wind) or SSW (if you mainly want to protect vs drying out) side of the newly-planted thing, right up close to the plant.

It makes a *surprising* difference in the newly transplanted thing's health and vigor. Shelters from the wind a bit, keeps the soil around the roots more reliably moist, buffers the young plant against night-day temperature swings. You can eventually remove the rock (if you want) once the plant's established and growing well.

This also can help you grow something that technically is supposed to want moister soil than you can really provide. I speak from personal experience with perennials and clematis, here, but it seems likely to work for typical veggies too, even woody plants if you scaled up the rocks. If the rock is not decorative enough for you, use a paver of appropriate size and pull your mulch over it. Keeps the roots cool and moist, and allows you to grow many plants in much more apparently-dry conditions than they would otherwise tolerate.

Pat, with fencerows of glacially-deposited granite rocks and a bunch of spare pavers and a LOT of crappy old broken-up concrete to use up :)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's called "creating a microenvironment". Rocks keep plants warmer in the winter, because they have the "blackbody" effect (accept heat during the day and then distribute it out at night). I hear that woody debris works well for regulating moisture (it releases it slowly).

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I know, DrakeMaiden, I am a former college ecology professor ;)

My experience with wood has not been so great, I know that people with woodland gardens etc often have good results but everytime I try to use it I get mushrooms sprouting out all over and it *seems* (?) to have a detrimental effect on the (woody) plant I was trying to establish there. Possibly I am not using the right kind of wood - I am sure that if you're in a forest, natural forest logs would be just fine. Or maybe it's just me, dunno.

The rock (etc) idea has been used with considerable success by people trying to reestablish native vegetation in desert-y areas. It still works impressively well for those of us in kinder climates :)

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well Pat, I figured you were a smart cookie! Now I know for sure. :)

About the woody debris . . . I think that different fungi can be either beneficial or detrimental. I know that some can be very beneficial. Maybe you had a detrimental species. If you wanted to experiement, you could innoculate your soil and/or the woody debris with beneficial fungi. Someone I gardened for once innoculated their soil with beneficial fungi, because they were having problems with older established trees dying. It seemed to help.

I don't have much experience with using woody debris. I tend to remove woody debris from my soil before planting, because of what I've read about it "stealing" nitrogen from the soil. If I use woody debris, I will keep it all above ground.

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A new use for my pile of waste material... thanks.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the GREAT tip. Anxiously waiting to see about protecting them from chickens too!!:lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beefy said:
which side do i put it on to protect from chickens?
The top side :D

As an extra plus, a big rock smack dab on top of the plant saves you from having to worry about watering, fertilizing, deadheading or harvesting, either, isn't that handy? lol

Pat

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
beefy said:
which side do i put it on to protect from chickens?
The top side :D

As an extra plus, a big rock smack dab on top of the plant saves you from having to worry about watering, fertilizing, deadheading or harvesting, either, isn't that handy? lol

Pat
HAHAHAHAHA

:lol:

countryatheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I garden in south Texas. I use the black nursery pots with the bottoms cut out around my tomato transplants to serve the same purpose.

Latest posts