Odd plant showing up just now, ID?

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, this looks amazingly close to the weird stuff that grew out of a packet of what was supposed to be red shiso. Some were reddish, some like this. Strong scent, impervious to bugs, bees loved the flowers, drought and neglect tolerant....but did not taste same as the shiso from the Asian markets. Very similar, so maybe if I had ever remembered to water it...

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There are about 20 different plants that are called pigweed

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I still think it's Echinops.

Globe Thistle, though it has the name thistle in it is different than what are normally called thistle. Those leaves look just like Echinops leaves.

Though I don't think the photo in this website is the same variety or even species within the same genus you'll notice a couple things. Echinops have super pretty flowers, and there is similarity in the texture of the leaves.
http://www.anniesannuals.com/plt_lst/lists/general/lst.gen.asp?prodid=1677

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does the stem break easily? Snap? Feel rope-like? Squish easily? Appear watery? Does the broken off stem wilt quickly?
(Would you eat it with a fox? Would you eat it in a box?) :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
the only thing i can think of since you said it stinks is bee balm, also known as monarda and bergamot.
Chickie! Beebalm does not stink! :lol: At least it's one of my favorite garden fragrances... :)

Latest posts