OK its spider mites how do i get rid of them?

firemm3

Leafing Out
Reaction score
OK its spider mites how do i get rid of them organically and with poison?

[im
5937_green_bean_2.jpg
g][/im
5937_green_bean_1.jpg
g]

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is a quote from W.S. Cranshaw of Colorado State University.
One reason that spider mites become problems in yards and gardens is the use of insecticides that destroy their natural enemies. For example, carbaryl (Sevin) devastates most spider mite natural enemies and can greatly contribute to spider mite outbreaks. Malathion can aggravate some spider mite problems, despite being advertised frequently as effective for mite control. Soil applications of the systemic insecticide imidacloprid (Merit, Marathon) have also contributed to some spider mite outbreaks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, they like beans. And, they start on the older leaves. If allowed to, they may kill the plants. It is a good reason to grow bush beans and pull the plants after you've gone thru and picked them. Pole beans sometime can't hang around all season because of the spider mites.

With ornamentals (they like dahlias), I spray with a systemic pesticide. It works real well to 1st go thru the plants and spray the foliage with a strong jet of water. After the water evaporates, I spray the bugkiller. I figure that a lot of spray falls on the ground where the spiders are busy trying to get back to the plant (when you are less than 1mm long, it takes quite awhile, I suppose ;).)

With sunflowers (another mite favorite) in the veggie garden, I spray with: 3 tablespoons of Palmolive Green dish soap for every 1 gallon of water. It seems to kill them fairly well and, at least, gives the plants a little help surviving the spider hordes.

Steve

firemm3

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I did not know that about sevin dust. we have always used it just because that is what "daddy always did". i am growing pepper for the first time to use as a spray, I also didnt know about pole beans being a favorite. Well i appreciate your info. I went through the beans with a fine tooth comb and the majority of them were infested so i took them all up and am burning them as i type. How do i treat the soil where they were so they dont creep on over to the other plants?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't looking for spider mites fun?!? No?

"Okay, there's a speck . . . did it move? Is that movement? I think it may have moved . . . wait! yes! it moved!!"

Of course, the webbing is a good clue. Also, the yellowing and curling leaves . . . and plant death.

I have a feeling that they will "parachute in" no matter what you do to the soil. Strong jets of water must send them on a vacation that takes a couple of generations to get back from. But, good goobly goop - they must reproduce fast!!

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
spider mites get into soybean fields and can get so bad that they will kill areas. In gardens, the pesticides we use on fields would not be a good thing.

Those that say that pesticides increase spider mites are living in a dream world. By the time the predator insects get enough numbers to be effective the damage is already done.

In a garden, I'd suggest watering the plants 2X a day. Spider mites have a hard time w/wet conditions.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My marigolds developed SEVERE spider mites (oddly, nothing else did...). I asked a friend of mine what to do and he said use a good squirt of dish soap, a dash of cayenne pepper and water in a half gallon spray bottle. Worked wonders, killed them off by the next day :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
My marigolds developed SEVERE spider mites (oddly, nothing else did...). I asked a friend of mine what to do and he said use a good squirt of dish soap, a dash of cayenne pepper and water in a half gallon spray bottle. Worked wonders, killed them off by the next day :)
Excellent insecticide in gardens. Now if it would work on ag fields.......

Latest posts