OK, secret confession....

2 Beauts

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I've never had creamed peas and potatoes. How is it made? Is it just mashed potatoes with some peas tossed in it? Are the peas creamed and then mixed in with some diced boiled potatoes? Is it sweetened? Do you use milk, cream, or water?

Help me, Help me! This sounds wonderful, and I want some!!

MissPrissy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I know what creamed peas are. Are you sure they are combined and not meant as creamed peas in addition to potatoes?

The peas are cooked with butter and a touch of cream and thickened with flour or starch. I would not be interested to have them mixed with potatoes.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I make a cream sauce, usually can find a recipe on the side of a cornstarch box. Just milk, cornstarch, butter, salt pepper and add frozen peas. I put dumplings in to cook which is why you use frozen peas but I think potatoes would be good added Ive just never done it. this is my great grandmothers depression era recipe.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You don't maybe mean creamed peas and *onions* (pearl onions)?

Pat, with Pennsylvania Dutch mother and thus raised with cream and/or white sauce on pretty much everything ;)

2 Beauts

Leafing Out
Reaction score
LOL! I have no idea what i mean! Steve (digitS) mentioned creamed peas and potatoes in another thread and I thought that sounded fantastic!

amyquilt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Watching for more info...maybe op will see this thread and post their recipe.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean and I just asked my mother about this the other day! I normally can't stand peas but one year I remember distinctly my mother creaming new red potatoes, new peas and new carrots. I can still remember the taste and it has been 25 years! New potatoes, marble-sized and slightly larger (scrubbed well but try to leave some skin), new peas and new tender carrots chopped fine. Add water to barely covering the vegetables, add butter or olive oil, minced onions and salt and pepper. Bring to boil and only cook until potatoes can be punctured and flaked with a fork. They will cook quickly, so don't overcook. Thicken with cornstarch mixture until desired creaminess. Place spoonful in mouth and let melt!!!!!!! :love

garriss

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We have "creamed" peas and potatoes every year when the peas are ready to be picked, and the new potatoes the size of shooter marbles. We put potatoes in water on low boil, when softened add fresh peas, salt, pepper. Simmer on low till they make there own "cream", or you can add a little corn starch to thicken. Yum!

Latest posts