Ok... Serious post this time. From chicken to garden.

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've heard that some people use it on pathways. The concern is nitrogen burn being next to the plants.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
herbsherbsflowers said:
You really don't have to do anything for the chicken poo and shavings to compost. Just give them a little space. You can buy little fence looking compost pile containers, and just dump your stuff in and let it sit. We only turn ours once a year and always have a nice pile of compost at the bottom that we add to the garden. It takes longer that way but it's not hurting anything just sitting there.
I have had chickens for a year now and this is how I do it. I have a circle I made from fence and I just add to it. In the fall I am going to spead it over my garden and till it in.

Granmahen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
mrsgibber said:
I too have six chickens and have the same problem as the OP. I change the litter weekly so there isn't ALOT of poo to shavings.

My questions is more about using this as a mulch in my vegetable garden. Is that a bad idea? I want to use an organic material for mulching to keep the moisture in over the hot summer months.

Thanks!

*Don't mean to hijack your post my fellow nutmegger. :)
I used to rake the poop out of the chicken coop/run weekly. Heavens, I used to go in daily with a wisk broom and pan, honest. Then dump into a compost bin along with kitchen scraps and bunny poop (also with a bit of pine shavings). Now, the hens' home gets raked daily to mix newer droppings into pine shavings, a jar of food grade, d.e. weekly with a top layer of new shavings. And completely cleaned out twice a year. My compost breaks down fairly fast (I have two bins side by side, one for adding to and one for cooking) but I admit it is very mulchy looking, not the dark crumbly stuff. But the gardens still love it. Every few weeks I add a small top layer to what's already there and it adds nutrients while it helps hold in moisture. The only thing is I'd let it sit in a compost heap a few weeks before adding it to garden soil. Fresh chicken poop is just too hot and will burn the plants.:tools

Latest posts