Ok, You can see it, but promise not to laugh....

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Next week I plan to get some new chicks. But, I can't put them in with my two remaining hens until they are bigger.

After checking prices at Home Depot and Lowe's, I was kind of discouraged about building a new coop and run area. So, I came home, and I have wracked my brain to think of where I can house them until then. Looking around my yard and using my imagination, I think I have solved my problem.

I have a raised bed that is about 6ft by 10ft. It is covered with chicken wire, to keep the birds out. But, the past few years that bed doesn't get enough sun to really grow much but lettuce in there.
Here is what I came up with for a new enclosure for my chicks, without spending any money!!

Side view

82710ViewfromSideLong02email.jpg

View from front

82710ViewfromFrontlongemail.jpg

Since my grandchildren are now in Missouri, I don't have much use for the play structure in my yard. So, it is now going to be a "coop" of sorts.

CoopEmail.jpg

Next week, I will cover the open area above the "coop"with some vinyl I found at a discount fabric store for $2.99 a yard. That will make it waterproof over the "coop" area and help retain some heat at night, and hopefully keep it cooler during the day.

Anyway, that is my plan... What do you think??

chickcritty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great use of materials you had lying around! I would be concerned about predators though. I've heard that raccoons can reach right through chicken wire and get a hold of chickens. Do you have any wire you could attach to the openings of the playhouse that has smaller holes? I forget what size I usually get but I think it's the 1/4 or 1/2 inch welded wire.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two concerns. One is the chicken wire concerning predators. You are on the scene so that is your call.

Two, how old are the chicks? If they are 4 to 5 weeks old, no problem. Younger than that, I'd be concerned with a draft at night. I imagine it can get a bit nippy in the desert at night. A breeze hitting the chicks might not be a good idea.

Other than that, looks great. How many and what kind of chicks?

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
chickcritty said:
Great use of materials you had lying around! I would be concerned about predators though. I've heard that raccoons can reach right through chicken wire and get a hold of chickens. Do you have any wire you could attach to the openings of the playhouse that has smaller holes? I forget what size I usually get but I think it's the 1/4 or 1/2 inch welded wire.
I plan this coming week to get some 1/2 inch hardware cloth to reinforce the bottom 24 inches of the enclosure. Our yard is fenced 6 to 8 ft high. I have lived here since 1980 and have never seen any "preditors" other than neighborhood cats, and a couple of Hawks now and then. This is just for the next few weeks until the chicks feather out. Then the plan is to put them in with my two remaining hens, in a very secure coop and run area. Here is my "real" coop and run.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=8389

Ridgerunner said:
Two concerns. One is the chicken wire concerning predators. You are on the scene so that is your call.

Two, how old are the chicks? If they are 4 to 5 weeks old, no problem. Younger than that, I'd be concerned with a draft at night. I imagine it can get a bit nippy in the desert at night. A breeze hitting the chicks might not be a good idea.

Other than that, looks great. How many and what kind of chicks?
I think I will get six chicks, I haven't quite decided which kind, there are serveral types right now at the feed store. They are a few weeks old, getting to that "awkward looking" stage. Right now they live in a huge run area at the feed store. So they are used to being out in our temperatures. At night here lately we are lucky to get down into the low 80's to upper 70's at night. Last week, at 10:00pm it was still in the 90's!! It doesn't get cold here until late November! By then they will all be in the coop at night.

The entire area of the enclosure, over the coop, all three sides and top will be covered in a heavy duty vinyl upholstery fabric. That should cut out any drafts.

I don't think any serious preditors can get over or under our fences. They would have to first go through the neighbor's yards, which are also fenced.

And most preditors wouldn't want to be in the same yard with our Spartacus. Here he is... looking over the not quite 5 ft fence that divides part of the backyard so my desert tortoise has his own yard.

2006OnFence.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they are at the awkward stage, they are probably 2 to 3 weeks old. They should be fully feathered out in another 2 to 3 weeks so you should be OK. My grown chickens don't like the wind at all, regardless of temperature. A light breeze isn't too bad but anything above a light breeze sends them hiding behind wind breaks. I think what you are planning will work fine.

It's hard to go wrong in your choice of breeds as long as you do a little research. Each hen is an individual but I find the generalities about the different traits if the breeds do hold if you have a few of that breed. For example, my Orpington is at the bottom of the pecking order, which is in line with what I have read about that gentle breed. My goals are different than yours since I hatch out my own chicks and I do eat the excess, but I find my Black Australorp tremendous egg layers. I'd recommend you consider one of them. My Delaware are also real good at egg laying and they are the ones with the real personality. My Delaware are the first chicks in the brooder to go to the feeder when I tap on it to show the chicks where it is. The Delaware are the first ones to peck at the paint spots on my shoes and are usually underfoot. Bold friendly birds with real personality. As you can guess, Delaware are also high on my list. I saw you had the Buff Orps so you know about them. I also got Speckled Sussex for the red in my red and yellow, black and white flock. For straight egg laying the Sussex did OK but they fell a little short in my other goals.

I think you will fall in love with any that you choose but I like my rainbow flock and the different shades of brown eggs I get in the basket.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When your chickens are done with their playground, give it to next spring's baby goats. :) They will love it! I'm looking for one of those for my baby pen.