Okra Troubles?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They like HEAT and it isn't hot enough yet for them outside. Don't bother pinching back blooms bc you lose fruit. I never have done this.
The flowers really are very pretty.
I was planning on keeping them in the greenhouse @ducks4you, I only have 4 plants. But given how hot (80-88) it's been already this year I might be able to actually grow them outside. But I'd lose a week or so getting them used to direct sun.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The flowers sure are pretty for a vegetable plant.
20210608_130103_resized.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The flowers sure are pretty for a vegetable plant.
View attachment 41133

they remind me a lot of some other flowers so i had to look to see what they might be related to:

from the wiki:
"...The species is a perennial, often cultivated as an annual in temperate climates, often growing to around 2 metres (6.6 ft) tall. As a member of the Malvaceae, it is related to such species as cotton, cocoa, and hibiscus. ...
"

young leaves are edible. seeds can be pressed for oil or roasted as a coffee substitute. having not done any of those i'll leave it to others to find out how well this sort of thing works/tastes... :)

as for heat, this season is certainly an okra season. not growing any though. i don't think my brother is either.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
they remind me a lot of some other flowers so i had to look to see what they might be related to:

from the wiki:
"...The species is a perennial, often cultivated as an annual in temperate climates, often growing to around 2 metres (6.6 ft) tall. As a member of the Malvaceae, it is related to such species as cotton, cocoa, and hibiscus. ...
"

young leaves are edible. seeds can be pressed for oil or roasted as a coffee substitute. having not done any of those i'll leave it to others to find out how well this sort of thing works/tastes... :)

as for heat, this season is certainly an okra season. not growing any though. i don't think my brother is either.
You having a heat wave too @flowerbug?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
yes, we've been mid-80s or higher most days and not much cool at nights - unseasonably so. no rain either. the grass here is going brown already. i think even the Creeping Charlie is having a fight this year (besides me trying to get rid of it :) ).
Us too, 30+ many days, today 35. But we had a good thunderstorm in the late afternoon today - which absolutely drenched everything - thank goodness - and sucked all the heat out of the air it seemed. If it's moving south, you might get it too.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Us too, 30+ many days, today 35. But we had a good thunderstorm in the late afternoon today - which absolutely drenched everything - thank goodness - and sucked all the heat out of the air it seemed. If it's moving south, you might get it too.

i see there are some storms coming in from the north but it is likely they won't make it. i hope so, but i've been teased so many times by storms that don't make it here that i won't believe it until i see it hit the ground. :) glad you got some rains there! :)