old daffodils not blooming well and pictures of scilla

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have an old patch of daffodils that have not bloomed well for a few years. I suspect they need to be dug up and divided. I always think of doing it this time of year when they're so pathetic. But can I divide and replant them now? Should I wait until fall?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't believe that it would be a good idea, Kristin.

I'm always pleased that daffs don't look terribly "ratty" like tulips, after they've bloomed. I have to put up with both and the weed whacker just instinctively wants to cut 'em down!

There are bulbs of some nature in my lawn! They are about 5 feet out in the grass. I have no idea what they are because I have mowed them off every spring that I've lived in this house (15) before they bloom. They look like a coarse grass and I'm just unwilling to mow around them. Of course, if'n I could remember them in the fall - I could move them to a more appropriate location.

Hey Kristin, what salsa tomato did you decide to grow this year??

Steve

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've started seeds from 9 varieties of tomato all together.... :hide
Let's see if I can remember them all:
Brandywine
Purple Russian
Amish Paste
San Marzano
Red Jelly Bean (grape)
Sungold Cherry
Caramello
Persimmon
Milano

I guess I'll have some options when it comes time for making salsa!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes I would divide and replant the daffodils in the fall and also give them some fertilizer, which will help with getting the blooms.

Hope this helps! ;)

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Yes I would divide and replant the daffodils in the fall and also give them some fertilizer, which will help with getting the blooms.

Hope this helps! ;)
Thanks, I'll have to figure out a way to remember to do that!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, if you remember - help me remember these strange grass-like things in my lawn, please.

I'm always curious about them - then, I mow them down, ha! Months before Fall, I have completely forgotten/lost track of them. They would be easy enuf to find tho', I'd just need to lift the sod.

This house is over 100 years old. Who knows when the went in. I've got wood hyacinths, they aren't wood hyacinths. I've got grape hyacinths, they aren't grape hyacinths. I often walk past snow drops in a park I pass thru. They aren't snow drops. I think the leaves are too narrow for squill :hu.

Steve

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hmmm, I was going to guess grape hyacinths because I've had to lay myself down on the lawn in front of DH and his mower almost every year to try to save mine! They came with the house too. Some years I'm successful, some not so much.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, I've got crocus, too.

These are really "grass-like."

squill
Park_Klepacza_Lodz.jpg

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is amazing and beautiful Steve! ;)

Those flowers look like a blue carpet across the garden.
I would love to have that same effect in my garden in North Carolina, it's so nice to have the same flower planted in huge drifts in the garden. They stand out so much better that way.

Thanks for the picture!

Latest posts