Old nasty horse hay

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This weekend we set up a couple of raised beds. Added dirt and hubby went to get what should have been old horse manure. Instead he dug out where the horses eat and trample hay. I've raked out all the nasty wet hay and put it in a pile. Will I need to do anything to get it to break down by next growing season (I piled it where the next raised bed will be built) or can I just leave it be?

TIA

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ShowMe31 said:
This weekend we set up a couple of raised beds. Added dirt and hubby went to get what should have been old horse manure. Instead he dug out where the horses eat and trample hay. I've raked out all the nasty wet hay and put it in a pile. Will I need to do anything to get it to break down by next growing season (I piled it where the next raised bed will be built) or can I just leave it be?

TIA
Sounds as though you have a compost pile going. Just tarp it so it won't dry out and turn it with something like a manure fork every time it shrinks by 25%. By next growing season it should be ready to turn into the soil.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It'll work to just let it sit, if you're not gonna use it till next year. It would prob burn plants to try and use it now. If you have a compost pile, mix it in REAL good with it and let it "cook".

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is now the compost pile, well until next growing season. I may even have him finish cleaning the barn into this spot so it's closer to me next year. I've always wanted to start one but I have always had one compost pile problem, hubby. LOL! I guess now it's his fault that I have one.

Thanks

Latest posts