older apple tree with few blossoms

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 3 old apple trees, I thined them out early march. The 2 red varieties are full of flowers but the yellow has very few. This tree is protected and doesnt get strong wind and I trimmed it as I read on a website to open up the canopy as they have been neglected for a long time. Did I trim too much? last year it was full of blossoms and fruit, although small and spotty.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The effects of this year's pruning on # flowers/fruit will not be seen until NEXT year -- this year's flower buds were formed last fall. (Did that make sense?). Hang in there :)

Pat

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i did have those tent catepillars last year, think that might be why? Im stumped and the yellow apples are the ones I was looking forward to.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I doubt the tent caterpillars from last year would have an effect on this years blossoms. Did you prune out the nests last year? My grandfather used to burn the nests, which seemed effective enough, although a bit tricky not to harm the tree.

As Patandchickens says, it's proabaly the effect of the pruning. You may have pruned more of the branches that had fruit buds on them from the yellow apple, than the red apple. Give it time.

It could also be that one variety flowers earlier than the other, so you aren't getting the full show yet, on the yellow apple tree. I have five varietys, and they all flower at just a little different date.

Farmer Kitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Some trees bloom heavy one year and then will have fewer blooms the following year.

Latest posts