OMG CAN YOU GIVE A DOG BEANO???? The dilemmas of gardening with pets!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
relevent question to anyone who lets their dogs follow around and "help" in the garden ...they adore eating produce of all kinds especially the greens and the older the stalks the more they love them ...they just graze right behind me (and are getting good about only eating what I toss and not picking their own) ... and then follow up with a dessert of chicken poop! (DISGUSTING)
and OMG they emit green clouds of room clearing aromas!!! I do not want them in the house like this ..thinngs are fine during the winter when they only eat meat

but right now this second I need help!!!!

so can you give them Beano? should I? is there something better?

blackberry season is around the corner ..all summer long they sneak in the bushes get thorns in their feet and pig out on berries ..they are really good dogs I swear ..

they are thriving on this diet it is fun for them ....

but the smell ..honestly it is killing me ....

help??? am I alone in this???

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish this was my issue... I just covered my dog and husband in Calamine lotion because both morons would not keep out of the pond and woods and are now covered in posoin ivy!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr

As for beano, I think you can... isn't it organic. (Plus, if they eat poo why would that bother them?! LOL)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
green gas...poison ivy we love our pets LOL!!!!!
have you tried some benadryl ..on both?
my boy dog Lister gets hives when he plays in the grass...he is black and white and red all over if I do not give him benadryl before he goest out during the summer (winter again he is fine ..no gas no hives) ..so he does get benadryl every day...you could give that to your dog/husband? I know a 60lb dog can safely take 50mg ...easily.. ..how do you keep a dog out of the grass???? or in your case the poison ivy ..(I do not miss that ..we only have nettles and the odd poison oak here but I remember it well so you have my empathy!!!)
my vet suggested allergy shots ..I will give him benedry thanks it is $3 a package compared to the $500 for the allergy shots!

and good point on the poo and the beano ..why on earth would I worry about a little Beano all it is is an enzyme ? ..guess I should rephrase and say ..does beano work on dogs before I go spend on it?

someone did tell me I could try simethacone

maybe I could google it

no one else has produce and poo filled puppies who blow green clouds of noxtious gass after helping in the garden huh?

I am going to edit the title of this thanks Vfem ...would love to have more folks tell about their dogs/pets and the dilemmas of gardening with them :)

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You are not alone!!! I have that problem with my Lab. He loves to eat all things green! He has the worst toots (all year long). :sick But I guess I'm a weirdo I just deal with it. :idunno Hubby would like it if I gave him beano - he can't stand the green clouds, and Catfish (my dog) would like to stop getting kicked out of the room at night. Let me know if it is successful.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know. It is worth a try. One of our two shelter poopies (uh, puppies) has that problem.

I know you can train your own gut so you can eat raw onions and such. It is not a two day event but it can be done. You build up the right bugs in your guts to handle it. I don't know where you would find the correct internal flora and fauna to speed the transition, but here's hope your problem will get better over time.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thanks you guys
I am not sure how to train a dogs gut I know mine does just fine with vegetables but I would try that is for sure maybe if I start giving them some fresh veggies earlier in the winter? hopefully my garden will go all winter and they will get and stay used to it!
what is kind of funny is when they sit on the hardwood floor let a loud bomb fly and then jump up and spin looking so surprised:ep

Lil Chickie Mama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:lol: :yuckyuck Well, for the poison ivy/oak you should get a goat! They can eat it and not get sick. Also I've read but I have no idea if it's true, that if you drink the milk of a goat that has been eating various plants that you are allergic to (poison ivy/oak included) that it will lessen your allergic reaction. It works with honey though so I wouldn't be surprised. For the gassy dogs, :gig my little one hardly ever does this, but on occasion, peee-yooouuu look out. My mom's dog is worse, but the prize winning stinker is my brother's dog. You can't even THINK about giving her a speck of a scrap and she bombs the house. I'll have to suggest the beano to him. They had me watch her over night and she wasn't too bad, but right before I gave her back I gave her a bunch of scraps, tee hee hee, I'm such an evil little sister! Before anyone gets mad, the dog loved it (the food) and the gassies don't hurt her. I just would have loved to see my brother's face on the 2 1/2 hour car ride home, :clap

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tried simply simethacone much cheaper than beano and seems to do the trick thanks you guys :)

as long as we catch him in time there are no green bombs going off in our house anymore ..I just told my husband when he has a treat in the afternoon just give it with the simethacone it can not hurt to just have it once a day it is only an gas neutralizer

and his gas needed neutralizing!

Latest posts