? on Crook-necked yellow squash

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Is it ok to trim back some of the leaves of my squash plant, as long as the fruit stays shaded? I planted beets too close to the front of it and they are being shaded so much that they quit growing. also, I planted it too close to my pattypan squash and it might be getting a little crowded on. This is my first year growing either of these squashes. My only other squash-growing experience was on the ranch years ago when I happened upon a squash plant volunteering up out of my compost pile. It seems I didn't count on the seeds from my store-bought acorn squash taking root in there, but I got 2 huge squash off of the that volunteer, and the plant didn't get very big. Live and learn.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you got enough room in your garden to transplant the beets to another spot? I did this with several dozen small beet seedlings that I started in a bad place, and they all did fine. In fact I am currently eating some of them.

I don't know if I would want to start pruning the squash, they might not like it to much. It might weaken the plant, or allow disease to get a foothold.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How close are your plants to each other? My squash are all pretty close, the leaves touch..but that helps to act as a living mulch. They plants keep the soil a bit cooler and help retain moisture....I don' t think close is all that bad.
As for the beets, I don't have any experience so I am not sure what to tell you!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My 6 squash plants are way too close together.....I can't even see the ground, nor step between them at this point....my mistake, as I had forgotten just how big they can become. It hasn't seemed to inhibit their production, though!!!! I am getting about 6 squash from this grouping each day! I've never seen so many squash on one plant before. I would leave your squash to their growth and transplant the beets!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Be really careful transplanting root vegetables like that, though. Usually it's not worth doing. :)

Latest posts