On December 1st

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
58 years ago: Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on the bus.

100 years ago: the Ford Motor Company's assembly line began to move.

40 years ago: this song was at the top of the charts - & the "Top of the World" by the Carpenters (link ♪ ♫ )

in 1968: this song was sung in the Broadway show "Promises, Promises." Dionne Warwick made it a big hit the following year - "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" by Dionne Warwick (link ♪ ♫ )

Steve
i know, it's not in order & most people won't read it until december 2nd but i kinda forgot that i wanted to do this. and, changed because of Marshall's correction.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Was the Rosa Parks thing only 50 years ago?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Marshall!

1955! What's that?

Sorry . . . 58 years ago. . . still in the Kennedy assassination anniversary.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Kennedy assasination left the days dark that winter. I was in third grade and my kindasorta girlfriend Julie was home sick that day, and Mrs. Lake had just finished telling me before recess was over that I'd "never be able to light a candle to my (older) sister Laurie" who was in her class 3 years before me. So I was sitting there already feeling bad when the Principal came in with a plug in kitchen radio and spoke quietly with Mrs. Lake. She sat down at her desk in front of the class and announced that President Kennedy had been shot, that the school busses would arrive to take everyone home in 15 minutes. She wept face in hands when it was announced that it would be a miracle if he lived. Everyone was strangely tired. Even big Augie. Pammie cried. The radio had that hum which KSFO always made. Mrs. Lake said go to recess until the busses come and I walked home alone.

Then arrived the British invasion of music to cheer us up. I really think England gave us music to cheer us up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh! I hope it was a Happy Birthday, Carol Dee! A Sunday. Weekend days off are a good start to your year, right :bouquet?

I don't know if a British Invasion was planned, Marshall. You have to think about where we were. American rock & roll had been run thru almost an entire generation. Folk music wasn't gonna brighten our days. Sorry, it just wasn't what American folk music was all about.

I am older than you are, Marshall. However, I was still in school on that November day. Completely naked and standing in the shower after PE. Some kid came in with a smile on his face and said, "Coach just said that the President has been shot." It has taken me a lifetime to come to some understanding that a smile is sometimes just nervousness. Perhaps, it was just an unconscious response that he was smiling.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Carol ... :watering :bouquet :rose Also, today is my grandson's BIRTHDAY :happy_flower and he predicted snow for his birthday last Thanksgiving even before the weatherman ... and he just may get his wish as the weatherman said this morning ... scattered showers and lowering temperatures turning to snow. Yesterday, he had his birthday party at a Lego store. We ( grandma and I ) are kidnapping him tonight to take him out to dinner . :celebrate

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Oh! I hope it was a Happy Birthday, Carol Dee! A Sunday. Weekend days off are a good start to your year, right :bouquet?

I don't know if a British Invasion was planned, Marshall. You have to think about where we were. American rock & roll had been run thru almost an entire generation. Folk music wasn't gonna brighten our days. Sorry, it just wasn't what American folk music was all about.

I am older than you are, Marshall. However, I was still in school on that November day. Completely naked and standing in the shower after PE. Some kid came in with a smile on his face and said, "Coach just said that the President has been shot." It has taken me a lifetime to come to some understanding that a smile is sometimes just nervousness. Perhaps, it was just an unconscious response that he was smiling.

Steve
I've had people ask me how I can smile when things are going so bad. I tell them "It's not a smile, it's a grimace!"
But I don't think I have ever grinned when some tragedy is unfolding, although I can see how that would happen. It's the excitement, and anxiety that makes muscles contract, blah, blah, blah.

When 9-11 happened, and all the shock and grief that occurred afterward, I will never forget (trying to forgive) my ignorant, nosy, homophobic, small minded boss saying "Ah, dem dam New Yorkers, we'd be better off if they was all blown up!" I know he was saying this in a response to all the attention being paid to New York, rather than middle America (hub of the world) but I thought it was unspeakably hateful for him to say. Lowered my already low opinion of him. :tongue

Latest posts