On the Small Scale

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden(s) have been large - except for the one in my backyard ;). Seeds are started in cookie boxes and seedlings are moved into 4-packs. If my seedlings aren't divisible by 4, admittedly, the weak sisters are usually composted. (I'm sentimental about that - compost for tiny seedlings.)

If they are especially valued, I have some 3-packs and 2-packs that I've used for years. There are even common, 1-packs. Anyway, they all go in trays that hold 12 ponies. I carry flats around - that's my standard practice but a large garden takes lots of plants at a time. A thousand square foot family garden is considered enough for most gardeners. They probably have few plantings of 48 plants, maybe not too many of 24 or more than 12. They might be happy to start single seeds in pony packs but then have to deal with a germination rate of less than 100%.

I did this last year for some reason, then couldn't think of what I could do with it personally:

IMG_20191116_151933.jpg

Don't know how helpful but I thought that I would share.

Steve

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My garden(s) have been large - except for the one in my backyard ;). Seeds are started in cookie boxes and seedlings are moved into 4-packs. If my seedlings aren't divisible by 4, admittedly, the weak sisters are usually composted. (I'm sentimental about that - compost for tiny seedlings.)

If they are especially valued, I have some 3-packs and 2-packs that I've used for years. There are even common, 1-packs. Anyway, they all go in trays that hold 12 ponies. I carry flats around - that's my standard practice but a large garden takes lots of plants at a time. A thousand square foot family garden is considered enough for most gardeners. They probably have few plantings of 48 plants, maybe not too many of 24 or more than 12. They might be happy to start single seeds in pony packs but then have to deal with a germination rate of less than 100%.

I did this last year for some reason, then couldn't think of what I could do with it personally:

View attachment 34677
Don't know how helpful but I thought that I would share.

Steve
What are those? Will that help? Where can I get those?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@YourRabbitGirl ,

Those are just what are called inserts that fit in planting trays. They separate and the bottom one amounts to 12 containers that fit together in a #1020 tray. The smaller, I cut apart with scissors. They were part of inserts that also were 12 to a tray but each had 6 cells. So, 72 plants could be in that tray.

What I sometimes see is a gardener has a tray with inserts and has used it for starting seeds. Some of the seeds failed to sprout. So, there is wasted space with no plants. They would be difficult to remove without disturbing the living plants.

A person could use the inserts that hold individual 6-packs that have been cut apart. Each cell could be taken out, the soil mix and failed seed dumped out, and fresh soil and a new seed dropped back in. They fit together in the other insert.

Just an idea. Wasted space under a grow light must be frustrating. Individual pots are usually too big and topple over easily.

Steve

Latest posts