On this Day, 50 years ago

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Beatles' song "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was released.

It took me a long time to develop any kind of appreciation for the Beatles after that silly song . . .

I had to get there by way of American folk music, when I began to be aware that they were copying the Beatles! Both ~ or, all of us ~ had evolved a little by then ;).

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad just returned from a funeral in Montana, and then our family moved to a new house, but I know I was listening to some Beatles tunes before Christmas vacation. Could it be KEWB 910 am had prereleases? There've been several conversations I've had where I am sure I heard tunes before the release date. KEWB was where I turned the dial. Besides having music I liked more, it also had fewer whistle sounds than KSRO or KSFO. I kinda wonder if KEWB played prereleases. hmmm...

And meantime, yea Digit, there were some older more sophisticated kids telling me they didn't like the Beatles, but I did not understand explanations why.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Digit, you missed the "On This Day.." thread for Christmas! You could included George Washington surprising the drunk Brits at Saratoga, after crossing the Delaware. I'm sure that there is a lot more that you could include.

I listen to old country so honestly couldn't say whether I like the Beetles or not.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember listening to Beetle music late at night and hearing all the 'disharmonic' harmony in the songs. :/ NOT what I would have called good singers or musicians, but to a teenager at the time, the overall effect -- when heard during the day -- was fabulous. :ya

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't it strangely wonderful how sounds or smells can evoke memories of where you were and what you were doing when that particular sensation made an impression on you?

That is probably why I never cared for the Beatles. At that time in my life my brothers were getting themselves into trouble and creating all kinds of anxiety in our home. Some of those songs can almost bring back the knot in my gut. :(

Latest posts