One of my buck rabbits nailed me

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have twin bucks who have been living in the same cage peacefully but the doe in the next cage broke into their cage and a fight over her broke out between them. In the process of breaking up the fight and moving one to a new cage I got raked pretty good. I guess he was still mad and wanted to attack something. Unfortunately that something was me. The rake is about 2 inches long and goes all the way through the skin. You can tell rabbit risers by their scarred hands and arms. :D
3428_rabbit_rake.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've seen the same thing happen in bars when a good looking gal walks in. :gig

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have been predicting/expecting this... I was hoping it wouldn't happen! They look so cute and cuddly, hard to imagine them hurting anything. Keep that clean and don't go breaking up any bar fights for a few days!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Getting raked now and again is just part of rabbit raising but usually it's an accident and not as bad as this one. Normally it's just a scratch. Rabbits seldom hurt you on purpose but in this case he was still riled up from the fight and didn't want me messing with him.
Even at my age I still heal fast so it shouldn't be a problem. It already is less sore this morning.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, the first thing I said was OMG! I'm the squeemish type. ;) Can you wear gloves when handling them? or at least put them on when they are being aggressive?

Mary

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some raisers wear the thin leather driving gloves. They rake rather than scratch like cats do so it doesn't take much protection. Just a long sleeve shirt protects your arms. Most of us though prefer bare hands. Gloves interfere with holding them and you can't get the feel of the backbone through them to tell how fat or lean they are. that's important in adjusting the food to keep them in condition. rabbits aren't meant to be fat. They don't store or utilize fat very well.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's the tin foil hat! I'm telling you it's the hat! Buck rabbits do not like tin foil hats.

Oops, wait a minute . . . it might have been the talk radio drifting over to the west from Texas. I KNOW that rabbits don't like talk shows.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Make sure you keep it clean and dry. It would be awful if it got infected. My parents raised rabbits and I liked to play with them so I got that a lot.

Latest posts