Onion question

yotetrapper

Leafing Out
Reaction score
For some reason, I didnt pick my onions last season, and they all came up this season. I intended to pick them, but I guess I must have waited too long. They are now like 3' tall and have round flowers on the top of them. Now what do I do with them??

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wish I could help you. You could always try pulling one to see if it's edible or if you don't want to fool with them pull them all up. If you want the onion itself to get bigger then what I always did was step the stalks down when they started showing signs of going to seed. Or, harvest the seed, pull up the old plants, then plant your seeds next year.... :idunno

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Usually onions when overwintered get pretty tough and are somewhat unpleasant to actually eat. I'm not a big fan on eating onions either way though.

I would recommend collecting the seed as well. They seed heads should start drying out, at which time you should tie a small paper bag around it or just let the dry out and then collect the seeds. Let them dry out for about 2 weeks then store them in a cool dry place.