Onion sets - When and How???

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmmm, there may be a regional difference in terms.

You can see and read the description at the Univ. of Georgia onion website.

Under Propagation Methods: "Onions can be established one of three ways: direct seeding, sets and transplants. . . . Sets are small dry bulbs that are produced in the previous season by overseedng and growing under conditions that promote rapid bulbing. Transplants are grown in the south and have three to five leaves at the time of transplanting."

S'

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
To me those look like "plants" as opposed to sets. Sets are like, little dry things that come in a net baggie and look a bit like pearl onions.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We plant ours in november. We hoe a small trench, lay the onion starts in about 4 inches apart and then hoe the dirt back over. We mark the rows with sunflower sticks (they decompose easily). We do our best to keep them weeded, we hoe or till a few times and water lots until sometime in june. Sometimes we mulch with straw. Our chickens are on bug patrol and fertilizer duty.
After we harvest the onions and garlic, we clean out the chicken yard and dump the stuff in the garlic & onion beds. We till this under about a week or so before we plant. Sometimes we add sand, since our soils is very clayey.

Ron

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Just planted sets of 1015's I got from the feed store yesterday. Okay, in deference to Rosalind, I planted "plants" of 1015's.

Latest posts