onions and garlic?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, I was just wondering, can you plant onions and garlic together in the same bed?

We've already got our garden MOSTLY planted for this year, but, I'm trying to plan for expansion for the garden this year (hopefully), and I was thinking along one side I could plant garlic, onions, and possibly potatoes in some boxes that we could move around. I was also thinking about putting in a small bird bath or something so butterflies and bees have a place to get water. DH thinks it's just going to invite birds into our garden tho. :idunno

Opinions?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kinds of birds do you want, and what species of birds don't you want?

What kind will mostly go to the birdbath?

Maybe the birdbath should be in the middle of the garden, maybe on the other side of the house?

Maybe some suet feeders instead?

Maybe some hummingbird feeders are another option? A sundial can take the landscaping position of a birdbath. Some are similar in size, plus it's nice if it is accurately placed to know your sunrise and set positions throughout the year. I may well get one.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a good idea about the sundial! I have no idea if it would be accurate or not... LOL We're going to put in a fence around the garden, and it would be close to the fence. I as just thinking bird bath so it could give the bees and butterflies water. We don't really want any birds in there, but hummingbirds might be okay. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep a bird bath in the center of my veggie garden. It is for my insect and bird friends. I don't plant in rows, but I do intend edge my onion area with garlic since I didn't plant the garlic in the fall. If I plant it in the fall I still put other crops near the garlic for spring growing.

Something for butterflies and bees would be more like a sponge in a small amount of water in the birdbath where they could land and drink. Otherwise, they will just stay around the edges anyway.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
To make sure a sundial is accurate, point it straight at the north star. Also, the larger the sundial, the more accurate it can be.

Another discovery you can get with a sundial is finding out what part east to west of your time zone you are in. If you are dead centered in your time zone, the tip of the shadow will be exactly on the 12 position at exactly noon during standard time.

Since most folks are not in the exact middle of their time zone, it'll be just a bit toward the 11:30 or the 12:30 side of 12. Do not make the mistake of adjusting or turning the sundial, simply know it is normal for it to be just before or just after on the hour. Just keep that tip aimed for the north star.

north star is easy to find. find the big dipper. that's easy. The last 2 stars of the dipper point to the north star. No compass is needed nor wanted to do this. Just complicates things. that north star is really really close to true north. closer than your accuracy to aim your sundial.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a hummingbird feeder, bird bath and bird houses by my garden. I welcome them for their beauty, entertainment and work-their job to eat insects that would dare attack my garden. In winter have bird feeder by garden.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are lucky to have mostly the bug eating birds SeedCorn. We have some of them too, but mostly we have the omnivores and some are seedling eaters up here in the hills and forests. Unlike city Chickadees, our Mountain Chickadees nibble and cut tender green shoots. The Towhees, cute as they are, seem to enjoy cutting seedlings down like miniature trees, and there's one I guess is called Junco that leaves rough holes on leaves.

Ha, Towhees! Some of them and some of the Robins and Stellars Jays come near me unafraid of me. We chirp back and forth at each other. Course with Stellars it's more a screech, but a friendly chatty screech.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I keep a bird bath and feeders outside my office window garden. It's how I keep calm at work... just watch the birds and I won't freak out! lol

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Early on I get a few tomato plants cut off by birds. I plant them deep, so scrape soil away and they come back.

The good they do all summer is worth a little aggravation. So keep those nasty ones out west.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a birdbath in my garden, too. I haven't found much evidence of the birds around here cutting off my garden plants. They do eat bugs, so they are welcome. We have lots of cardinals, bluebirds and robins. And of course, those darned English sparrows.

Latest posts