Onions

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How do you all grow onions? From sets (bulbs), plants or started from seed at home or in the garden?

Our local implement store sells the bulbs for $1/lb, so I usually plant scads that way. This last year, I got some plants that produced pretty big onions.

A farmer's market friend sold me enormous onions that are still storing perfectly in my cool cellar. These things are so huge that 1 onion makes a 6-person pot of French onion soup. He orders from dixondalefarms.com, which seems to have a great setup, free shipping and lots of information on varieties, organized according to day length.

Thought I'd pass this on to any other onion aficionados :) I'm not sure I'm able to even begin a meal that doesn't start with onions and garlic!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use sets because I don't have a long enough growing season to get them started from seed (although I'm sure I'll try that one day!). I got mine last year from Shumways, and was very happy with the results.

Mmmm, onions & garlic! :drool

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I plant sets. Mostly red onion, because my husband likes that kind as "scallions" or "green onions", he says they taste better.

I did plant a type of Italian red onion from seed this year, they are coming up nicely. I will probably have to thin them soon.

In the past I have found onions just take too long from seed. They go to seed early here when the heat comes, as do most plants.

Lettuce Lady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on dixondalefarms.com. They are much cheaper than the sets sold in the catalogs I have. They even sell the same mixed bunches.

I tried onion seeds last year because I heard that onion from seed keep better and taste better. Unfortunately they didn't work. The weather was awful so I may try onion seed again this year. Haven't decided yet.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I bought plants last year but I don't think they do as well as by seed or bulb. At least mine didn't LOL.

I'm going by seed this year and by bulb, I have a shorter growing season but I can start indoors.

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Me & the gals...

Thanks for the tip on Dixondale Farms....

I love leeks, and will def order the starters the closer I get to going home.

I can't wait... one bunch equals about 60 leek starters... thats alot of leeks.. even for me, but I have family and friends that would love to get these...

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm going to group orders with friends, family and fellow market growers. The cost goes down dramatically as the number of bunches goes up!

One thing I really appreciated was the organization of onion types by length of days. It's not something I even knew about onions. Makes me wonder if that's why my onions have not always gotten very big. That, plus the fact that in WI they can get planted in April to get as much growth in as possible before they hit that magical length of day time, when they no longer put on bulb growth.

Something else I've learned is that onions are biennials. So, the bulb onions I usually buy are going into their second year of growth. It really limits their potential to get huge. Plus, a lot of mine went to seed. If I missed pulling off the flower heads, the onions were REALLY small and the stems extremely tough. Just thought this was interesting...

I also plan to get leeks, something else I didn't do well starting inside last year. Can't wait!

ETA: My farmer's market friend who always buys from this site says that 60 is the minimum amount included. Sometimes there are as many as 90 plants. Whoohooo! Plus free shipping! (and, no, I have no affiliations with this site, just really excited about such great deals and variety! :) )

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I'm going to group orders with friends, family and fellow market growers. The cost goes down dramatically as the number of bunches goes up!
Some day, I'm going to remember to do this! Every year, I have too much stuff (onions, garlic, seeds, etc.)!

RDRANCH

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When planting onions from seed I have the best luck by planting them in late summer and overwintering them with mulch. Then come spring the start growing again and are ready by late July.:)

omran

Sprout
Reaction score
I used all methods, I put sets and plants and even seeds all work, but te fastest was the plants then setsthen the seeds.