Ooops! Potatoes :)

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I put several planters of potatoes together a few weeks ago. Planted on top of 2/3 planter full of soil, and planned to hill to the top and beyond. Had been burying the sprouts as soon as they were visible, until....

It rained a few days ago for the first time in months. I started setting my tomatoes out on Friday evening, and went out yesterday to finish (and to put in the herbs and companions I bought at the garden show in the New Orleans City Park Botanical Gardens!) and looked over at my potato planters and OMG oops they're out of the pots by more than a foot!?!??!!!! I almost fell over when I saw them, I was so surprised at the size. :)

The French Fingerlings are growing like crazy. The Yukon Golds are a bit slower, with one that's still not out of the "ground" yet. Guess I've rather blown my hilling plans, tho I did get another 6" of depth before I lost control. Will try to keep better track of the smaller ones, but am just going to let the big ones do their thing.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't it grand when mother nature does her thing? I was very religious about hilling the first couple of time I planted potatoes, but it doesn't seem all that crucial. Enjoy your taters!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Potatoes are fun! I have some growing in leaf piles!! :lol: Pictures!!! We want pictures!!!:tools

Latest posts