Opinions on Rimadyl for my dog?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dog had her tumor removed a couple of weeks ago and is doing so much better, however her arthritis is really bothering her as she is 13 1/2 years old. The four days after her surgery she was on Rimadyl to control pain from the incision. She was a whole other dog! Very active and had a hearty appetite. After she went off of the Rimadyl, she seemed to be more aware of the arthritis pain (by comparison, I think) and has not been eating as well since. She has had some joint pain for few years, but it was greatly improved by changing her diet to a food that contains glucosamine and chondroitin. I talked to the vet about it and asked if she could have a prescription for Rimadyl as a daily medication for arthritis and they agreed, although we have to come back for blood work in 2 weeks. She lost a little weight in the past couple of weeks from not eating much, or else I would have left well enough alone.

I gave her one dose today, again same effect: happy, active dog with a better appetite. But because of the need for blood tests to check liver function, I have been looking online for more information, wondering if it is really safe to give her this "miracle" pill all the time. I found this site, which seems to advise against it or at least on a very low dose, careful regimen. I would be devastated if by giving her this it would cause her untimely demise. But she feels so much better on it. I am not sure if the risk is worth it though? From what I've read, the blood work the vet requires will not rule out possible side effects. It feels a bit like a gamble...

I know we have a lot of dog lovers on here, so I am wondering what experience you might have had with Rimadyl (and possible side effects)? I also plan to order some Cosequin DS, as I hear it can be very beneficial for arthritis and has no side effects. The article said good results are obtained when both are used together and a lower dose of Rimadyl can be used.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
None of the Vet here use Rimadyl anymore to many bad side effects, much better meds look up Metacam or dermax, Both much safer but are prescription . Reviaval animal health 800 786 4751 has both pill and liquid . They will call your vet for paper work. i order from them a lot.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey I had to make a choice with my first cavalier, mother and grandma to all my dogs. (foundation bitch) I loved her very much. At 14 her back legs gave out from old age,In all other ways she was good eating, wagging her tail and happy. I have a great vet who mostly lets me treat my dogs my way. I put her on steroids and metacam at double doses for her size. Vet told me they should never be given together, to much risk to liver, my reply is what good is a liver if you cant walk? Meds gave her another year of life.Remember its quality of your dogs life, if she is in pain and meds help don't worry about liver, worry about keeping her comfortable for her remaining time with you

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my corgi uses the generic Rimadyl and we have been using it for about 2 years now. but i don't give it to him every day. about every other day when he has a flare up of limping. i'll give it to him for about a week or two until he seems to improve. sometimes he will go a couple months without signs of pain, sometimes it will be a couple weeks.

sometimes less is more with this particular Rx. but i may look into those other pain meds too.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nyboy , what do you think about chondroitin/glucosamine supplements and/or enteric aspirin? Over the counter and fewer side effects - of course, less punch too. Our vet once suggested those for an older dog and they seemed to have some benefit.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If meds make your dog feel better, but shave off a little time, I would consider it a fair trade. Brand new dog, happy, active, versus old dog in pain. More time with old dog versus shorter time with happy active dog.

I know you will find the right meds and make the decision right for your dog.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I use Rimadyl sporadically - to treat a minor limp, or if Lucy is really active. When we were on our trip to Oregon, we did more walks with her than normal, and her terrible hips don't have much tolerance for a very long walk anyway. So we gave it to her every day for about 5 days. But I think you're right to be concerned about it as a long term regiment, and would probably try and look for an alternative - because their probably is something else out there that would help.

I also agree that if you don't find anything else that's as successful, I would take the happy pain-free dog even if it meant a chance of shortening their days with you.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your dog needs something, based on what you describe. I had a dog who had to go on rimadyl many years ago and died of liver failure from it, but she was older and blind when she went on the rimadyl, I don't know if she died any sooner b/c of it or something else would have taken her anyway, but I do know her last time was much more comfortable for her.

If it were me, I would look for something that relieved the pain but didn't have the poss negative side effects, however if I couldn't find anything else I would opt for comfort over longer painful life.