Opinions on Tomatoes, please?

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have finally decided on the varieties of tomatoes I want this year! And since all but two of them are new to me (for growing and for eating!) I'd love to hear your opinions about them.

In no particular order:

Early Girl -- This one I planted last time and it was ok. I didn't find the taste inspiring. It wasn't bland, but it wasn't as intense as I'd like. And it didn't ripen much earlier than my other tomato plant, but that was a hybrid too, so . . . ? Other people liked it a lot, so I suspect I'll be giving these away!

The Bonnie 'Tomato' -- This made great salsa/picante sauce, and wasn't bad for a thin plain sauce, ie, for a pasta salad or some such. Very prolific! And didn't take up too much space. If I can find it again, I'm getting one.

Black Krim -- Looking forward to this one a lot.

Cherokee Purple -- Same with this, though I'm not sure how I'm going to tell this and the BK apart!

Valencia -- I found a sad, horribly stunted and root bound and sun-starved and water-starved Valencia at our local grocery store last year, about 6 weeks after it should have been planted. I wanted to save it, and it did produce tomatoes . . . just in time to get killed by our first snowfall. So am trying again, this time getting a plant when it *should* be planted, at the beginning of the season! I never got to use the tomatoes my poor little vine grew. This year is the year.

San Marzano -- Overall, online reports tend to prefer this one over a Roma tomato, I've noticed, though nobody says why. I am specifically looking to make sauce for Italian dishes and pizza with this tomato, hopefully it will be vigorous and yummy with a good flavor.

Any thoughts?

Whitewater

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Black Krim -- Large tomato. Needs staking. Delicious taste. I found that the bottoms grow in such away that they tend to rot, hence a reason to stake. Get them off the ground and in the air so they can dry off. These are lobed tomatoes and the lobes come together at the blossom end in a way that they sometimes had holes that led were prone to problems. It's a little hard to describe. This does not sound great, but I liked them well enough that I am growing them again. Last year was cooler and wetter than normal here. I think these might grow better in a warmer drier climate.

Cherokee Purple -- You'll easily be able to tell these and the Krim apart. Different colors. I have tried it twice and will probably not try it again. Of course, when I go to the University of Arkansas Horticultural Club plant sale, I never know what I will come home with. There are others that are more prolific and I did not find the taste of this one to really stand out.

San Marzano -- It was prolific and a good paste tomato. The problem I had was that I found it more susceptible to blossom end rot than most of my other tomatoes. Also, when I cut it open, there was usually a hard black mass inside that had to be removed, possibly related to the blosson end rot but you could not tell by looking at it from the outside that it had that black mass. I'll try a different paste tomato this year.

I think you should try several different varieties until you find what works in your area. I also think you should try them for two different years before making up your mind as the growing season or something else could be significantly different. Your results can be significantly different from mine or anyone else's since gardening if very local. All these varieties work very well for somebody or they would not be on the market. Maybe they will work for you.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is where I whip out my Mother Earth News Magazine Feb/March 2010 issue.... TOMATOES!

Though I love what I love, and I try what I try... I have found this nice list of popular hardy tomatoes listed here on type and function (paste, slicing, ect). These are voted on by members of the magazine, members of SSE, and people who took other online surveys the last couple of years to determine the best of the best.

You are in Minnesota so here are some of the popular choices that grow well, and are resisitant to disease in your area, as well as attuned to your soil types.

(Again, not my personal opinion, just what I read. I want to share in case you haven't seen this article.)

Listed for the Midwest region are:
Slicers:
Brandywine
Early Girl
Cherokee Purple
Big Boy
Better Boy Beefsteak

Cherries:
Super Sweet 100
Black Cherry
Sungold
Sweet Million
Riesenstraube

Paste/Canning:
Roma
Amish Paste
San Marzano
Striped Roman
Opalka

REALLY Big Ones:
Beefsteak
Brandywine
Mortgage Lifter
Better Boy
Big Boy

Saladette/Pear:
Yellow Pear
Roma
Juliet
Principe Borghese

Non-Red
Cherokee Purple
Black Krim
Green Zebra
Kellogg's Breakfast
Pineapple

I hope that list helps!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Early Girl- great hybrid variety that grows well under many different and extreme conditions. Good if you're looking for a multipurpose tomato.

Black Krim- one of my favorites, we grow it every year and it's an amazing flavor. Nothing like a couple of these, some aged cheese and a glass of white wine.

Cherokee Purple- you definitely be able to tell this one apart from the Black Krim, like Ridgerunner said. A long season variety that has very ribbed purple shoulders. Can be prone to cat-facing so make sure that watering is consistent.

Valencia- I wasn't too happy with this tomato personally. It produced ok. Tasted ok and kept poorly. Looks pretty good and is ideal for those who sell at the market to customers that want "perfect looking" (although more orange-red) tomatoes.

San Marzano- great paste variety. Good taste and was very resistant to most diseases in the test garden. What we grow every year for sauces, etc.

If I may, I would recommend Marmande and Marglobe these are both varieties that have tested well for varying temperatures and different conditions. Good overall use tomato that we constantly ship to folks in your area.

Carlos

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't be in too much of a hurry to give away all those Early Girl tomato plants, Whitewater.

I was very please to have found that variety about 30 years ago. I think there are some good reasons for Early Girl being the most popular tomato in the US. And, I always try to have a few as part of an "insurance policy" in my garden. I'll agree with you tho' - Early Girl's flavor is just pretty much, okay.

I wish HiDelight would weigh in on the Black Krim. She may be enjoying her record warm western Washington weather too much right now.

Last year, while she was enjoying her Black Krims at the end of a record warm growing season . . . I was telling her to that maybe she should try some quicker maturing heirlooms like Prudens Purple. That one barely makes it to ripening in my garden, but it makes it! Western Washington usually gets so many cloudy, cool days that its very long growing season doesn't mean much to sun and warmth loving tomatoes.

After I said that to HiD, I've seen Black Krim listed as a 70 day tomato. Elsewhere, they have it as an 80 day variety. I really don't know whether it is early or not. Maybe I'd better try it myself one of these years ;).

Steve
who trusts an honest 67 day variety but won't risk garden space on anything over 80 days.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Typically our Black Krim, which we've grown for about 6 years now, has been true and honest to about 70-72 days never going over 75 let alone 80, with a couple of occasions coming in at 68 days. Not sure where we originally got our seed stock but we've been collecting our own seeds since then.

Prudens Purple is a great and beautiful variety that has a great taste. I would definitely recommend. Thanks digitS' for reminding me of an old favorite.

Black Sea Man is another good alternative that has amazing color. Typically coming in around 75 days consistently.

Black Prince, yet another Russian heirloom, is a bit earlier at 68-70 days, yet somewhat smaller than Krim, Prudens Purple and Sea Man. Still an excellent variety with low acidity and a meaty taste that doesn't even remind one of a tomato.

Carlos

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
. . . Black Prince, yet another Russian heirloom, is a bit earlier at 68-70 days, yet somewhat smaller than Krim, Prudens Purple and Sea Man. Still an excellent variety with low acidity and a meaty taste that doesn't even remind one of a tomato.

Carlos
Well, Carlos, you had me right until that last sentence. I've seen Black Prince listed in some catalogs and it looked interesting and possible.

But, if it doesn't taste like a tomato - what does it taste like?

I've never had DW interested in a black tomato until this year. She really goes for mild, mild, mild. We will try Black Cherry but I hate to grow something that she really doesn't like. "Low acidity" sounds right.

I can't drift very far into those that require many weeks to ripen. That's something I'm a little opinionated about - if I grow it, I want it sun-ripened - oh boy! Maybe Black Prince would be one to set my sights on.

Steve

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
OaklandCityFarmer said:
. . . Black Prince, yet another Russian heirloom, is a bit earlier at 68-70 days, yet somewhat smaller than Krim, Prudens Purple and Sea Man. Still an excellent variety with low acidity and a meaty taste that doesn't even remind one of a tomato.

Carlos
Well, Carlos, you had me right until that last sentence. I've seen Black Prince listed in some catalogs and it looked interesting and possible.

But, if it doesn't taste like a tomato - what does it taste like?

I've never had DW interested in a black tomato until this year. She really goes for mild, mild, mild. We will try Black Cherry but I hate to grow something that she really doesn't like. "Low acidity" sounds right.

I can't drift very far into those that require many weeks to ripen. That's something I'm a little opinionated about - if I grow it, I want it sun-ripened - oh boy! Maybe Black Prince would be one to set my sights on.

Steve
Steve-

I would describe the taste like a saltier lima bean with tomato consistency. It has a meatier, fuller taste that is a bit salty and tangy. A great tomato.

Black Russian is another variety, from the Ukraine originally, that might be more up your alley. A variety that typically matures in 65-70 days. I don't currently have any seeds from this variety and I know it's somewhat rare but you should be able to find it with some work.

It's a great variety that's a bit salty, smoky, beautiful, smallish fruits that are great for many different uses.

I agree with you about the sun-ripened opinion!

Carlos

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Carlos!

I hope Whitewater is okay with this drift off course . . .

A "saltier lima bean" flavor, hhmmm?

You know what? I think the Thessaloniki tomato I grow have a parsley flavor! Since one might put chopped parsley on a tomato, it seems just fine to me and I think that tomato is a first-rate heirloom . . .

But that flavor, a little strange, huh?

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Thank you, Carlos!

I hope Whitewater is okay with this drift off course . . .

A "saltier lima bean" flavor, hhmmm?

You know what? I think the Thessaloniki tomato I grow have a parsley flavor! Since one might put chopped parsley on a tomato, it seems just fine to me and I think that tomato is a first-rate heirloom . . .

But that flavor, a little strange, huh?

Steve
You guys just reminded me that I planted some basil near my tomatoes... and I swear some of the cherries picked up the flavor of the thai basil!!! ;)

Latest posts