Orange mint lemon mint

Herbgardener

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have been reading in some books and some of them say that orange and lemon mint are the same thing just with two names is that the truth??

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I doubt it. My chocolate mint has a definite chocolate undertone. My pineapple mint has a definite pineapple undertone. I imagine the lemon and orange would be distinctly different.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it depends on the particular plants in question (it is certainly possible that, somewhere, the same plant is sold under two names), and also on the particular nose doing the sniffing. I can tell you that wandering through the mint section of Richter's greenhouse aisles, there are a couple mints that to me smell absolutely identical but my sister says they are quite distinctly different from each other to *her*.

I don't think it's really something to worry about. Ideally you'd smell a particular mint plant before buying (catalog descriptions are really inadequate to convey what something ACTUALLY smells like); if not, if you have to mail order, ya pays yer money ya takes yer chances and they're not THAT expensive a plant :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts