orchids in greenhouse

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can I grow orchids in a grow light only greenhouse? Have heat and cooling system. Thanks

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sort of depends on the type of orchid, some will, some won't

Actually if you are just looking for something that looks good (i.e. you don't have any specific orchid species or cultivar already in mind) you might want to think about a member of the genus Cochleanthes (I personally like C. amazonicum, but that's just me. Some people find that one a little bland (it's almost entirely white)) It isn't exactly the easiest orchid to get a specimen of (though by no means the hardest either, you just need someone who handles plants beyond the baseline Cattaylenas and Phalenopsis cultivars many rank and file dealers focus on.) but it is, in my experience one of the easiest to maintain. I had one on my radiator for many years and with no more light than was provided by the overhead light and the window no more protection from the cold and drying out than a cloche and simple watering, it not only lived but cranked out a new blossom every month or so; no additional fertilizer needed . Actually I have a nagging suspicion that, if I hadn't gotten careless and let it sit out of the cloche too long with no water, I'd STILL have it, that's how hardy it was.

beeper

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am just starting to play around with choices, and thought orchids might be fun and different.

Latest posts