oregeno doesn't smell

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Really stupid question. I planted oregeno last year and harvested it. However, I didn't pull the plant(s) up in the fall and I thought they came back this year. Yesterday I harvested what I think was oregeno, but it doesn't smell like oregeno. It doesn't smell at all. I have never had oregeno come back in the spring, but we had a very mild winter so I thought that was the reason. It looks like oregeno. Has anyone had this happen before? Should I just throw it in the composter? Is there anyway to tell if it is oregeno and not just some weed that resembles it? I have 6 large piles drying on papertowels on my kitchen counter top waiting to go downstairs and be hung to dry. :barnie

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strange... mine has always come back, year after year. If it doesn't smell after it is dried, you might as well compost it. It won't add any flavor... Can you post a picture of the plant? Did you let it go to flower?

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
There are no flowers yet. The very start of what might be buds. I will try to get a picture. I will probably just compost whatever it is.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
cityfarmer said:
Really stupid question. I planted oregeno last year and harvested it. However, I didn't pull the plant(s) up in the fall and I thought they came back this year. Yesterday I harvested what I think was oregeno, but it doesn't smell like oregeno. It doesn't smell at all. I have never had oregeno come back in the spring, but we had a very mild winter so I thought that was the reason. It looks like oregeno. Has anyone had this happen before? Should I just throw it in the composter? Is there anyway to tell if it is oregeno and not just some weed that resembles it? I have 6 large piles drying on papertowels on my kitchen counter top waiting to go downstairs and be hung to dry. :barnie
Your plant probably grew from a seed. Seedlings don't always come true and often they have very little oregano flavor or smell. The same is true of mint, which is a close relative of oregano. It's also possible that your plant had it too easy. They have a stronger taste if they are allowed to dry out enough to stress them a bit between waterings and it's best if oregano is never fertilized.
A tip. If you want oregano with real zing, try the Mexican oregano. It is a twiggy bush rather than a creeping plant. It has a very strong oregano flavor with a touch of pepper taste. It also holds its flavor when dried much longer than Greek or Italian oregano. I have some in a jar that are over 3 years old and they still have a kick to them.
Mexican oregano is not a true oregano. Instead of belonging to the mint family it is a vervain (closely related to mint) but it has the same taste and medicinal properties as true oregano.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
8323_p1010080.jpg

Sorry this is such a bad picture. This is one of the oregeno's I picked. Hoodat you are right. I did plant it from a seed last year. It was Greek Oregeno. It smelled and tasted like oregeno last year. I will try your Mexican Oregeno.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
From the picture it looks as though your oregano has been making a lot of new growth. You're probably treating it too well. New growth does not have the taste of slower growing plants. Try withholding water till it wilts before watering again. Oregano has the best taste in poor dry soil.
Oregano doesn't produce the volatile oils that give it taste unless it is stressed. remember that the volatile oils, from the plants point of view, are there to protect it from being eaten. It is there to repel both animals like rabbits and insects. If you force it to struggle to make new growth it will protect itself by producing more of the oils that give it the taste we want.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! I know where I will be planting my oregeno next year. I have a spot in my garden that doesn't get a lot of water from the sprinkler system. Is this true for all herbs?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
cityfarmer said:
. . . Is this true for all herbs?
I am not the best person to respond but just thinking outloud: I wonder if this is why I decided oregano wasn't the herb for me . . ? Certainly, I've got the hot/dry summer growing conditions. But starting from seed - Hoodat is talking about - I suppose I should know that's a bit risky. Then, my current oregano is where it gets rain runoff from the carport roof AND way too much afternoon shade. I've ignored it for years :rolleyes:.

When I had my first herbs, all I could grow was thyme & oregano. I decided then that oregano didn't amount to what I expected from it. Thirty years later, I give it another go - in an impossible location. By the way, I think very highly of thyme :p. What I did about the oregano is to go for basil, instead. Yep, basil champion here . . .

Back to your question, I'd guess that thyme, sage, rosemary, and oregano all perform well in the conditions Hoodat describes. The basil has needs.

Steve

Latest posts