Organic bug spray

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
you can use a spray mixed with garlic. there are some recipes for insecticidal soaps out there too. though i know there is a product out there called Spinosad that is supposed to be organic that works well on bugs or you could also use Neem oil. i have an all season spray i use for my fruit trees but it can also be used on the veggies too. it is put out by Bonide and is considered safe for organic gardens.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What bugs ...

are you having trouble with, MC?

When you are using the "less toxic," there are some that are "more toxic" for one critter if not another.

Steve

Mary Catherine Williamson

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Japanese beetles, worms, and flies.......not sure exactly what type all I know is my leaves have holes. I know Japanese Beetles will becoming soon though, to soon for my liking :somad Also, some of my pea leaves have a yellowish tint.......

MC

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find hand picking for the Japanese Beetles to be best. I just wander around with a little dish of water and knock them off into it. The chickens consider this a wonderful treat. Think "bobbing for beetles" instead of apples! Your pea leaves may be yellowing because they are done for the season. They are usually a cool weather crop and won't last long, once it heats up. How long have you been harvesting them?

Mary Catherine Williamson

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I must have started them to late.......Still learn'n! They have just shown pods, but are not fattening up.
MC

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Spinosad works over a broad spectrum but is sort of on the borderline between organic and chemical. It is approved as organic though since it is derived from funguses naturally found in the soil.
Neem is definitely organic and can even be taken internally with no harm. Pure neem oil is expensive, Most of what is sold as a spray is heavily cut with mineral oil. DO NOT take any neem medicinally unless you are sure it is pure.
One thing to remember when spraying is that anything that will kill harmful insects will also kill predators. You may be doing more harm than good. You may succeed short term but predators recover more slowly than prey. I sacrificed one season of cole crops to allow the predators of gray aphids to build up population and have never regretted it. They are under predator control now so they never get numerous enough to do a lot of harm any more.

Latest posts