Organic Fertilizers - Interesting Read

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Skeeter. Interesting reading.

While the information on that web page may be correct (I don't know) we must be aware that it was provided by people who make their living on selling the "ORGANIC" mindset. I think that we're a little overboard on the perceived need for 100% organic gardening. I have found that people who are anal about their gardening practices usually do not have the Better Homes and Gardens garden that they desire and they usually do not enjoy the pleasures of relaxed take-it-as-it-comes gardening. Just my opinion.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many claims on this site are obviously false. I quit reading half way down as most were far from accurate. Anyone who thinks organic fertilizer is not water soluble and will leach is wrong. I have no problem with organic fertilizers but the plant does not digest N in the protein form. It has to be broke down to the ammonia form to be utilized by the plant. I could go on but I know it's of no use as the organic people will assume I'm biased and blow me off and the non-organic won't read this thread at all.

This is my largest problem w/"organic" people, that they make claims with no logic behind them, just pure emotions. I will now leave you on this thread. good gardening.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yes it's suspicious at best. I like (re)using waste instead of sending it to a landfill but there's a funny argument there too. If you send your organic waste to a landfill then the landfill has a much better chance of supporting plant then wildlife growth later so instead of staying a dump forever it can return to a natural habitat given time.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
O.T. - Hey Dave, I was born and raised in the northwest part of Cincy. Well, Ross (in Butler County) actually. Moved away from there in 1967 when I got married and my folks were in Ross on the farm until 1985.

skeeter9

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, scratch this site. I certainly don't want to rely on incorrect information. This is why I, and I'm sure others, get so frustrated and confused with this topic. I just need to know how to keep my plants and soil healthy. :barnie

Seedcorn, you obviously have much more knowledge on this subject than I do and I appreciate your input. Do you have any suggestions on a site that provides simple, accurate information?

Smiles, I totally agree that some go overboard with the organic thing to the point of being closed-minded. I prefer to use a combination of both organic and non-organic methods, but that's just me. :p

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
skeeter9 said:
Well, scratch this site. I certainly don't want to rely on incorrect information. This is why I, and I'm sure others, get so frustrated and confused with this topic. I just need to know how to keep my plants and soil healthy. :barnie

Seedcorn, you obviously have much more knowledge on this subject than I do and I appreciate your input. Do you have any suggestions on a site that provides simple, accurate information?

Smiles, I totally agree that some go overboard with the organic thing to the point of being closed-minded. I prefer to use a combination of both organic and non-organic methods, but that's just me. :p
I hesitate to give any specific advice to someone in CA when I'm in Indiana.

Some suggestions:

Contact your local extension agency, they are really fine tuned for local gardens usually.
Contact any local gardening clubs as most people are more than ready to give you advice and help. Or if you see a garden you admire, pull in, tell them and listen for advice, amazing what most people will tell you once they realize you appreciate their efforts.
People from this website that garden in your area.
Fertilizers are just plant foods. Commercial fertilizer will have more salts than manure (which is my choice if available but I will not pay for it or at least not more than commercial fertilizer would cost). You can't use as much commercial fertilizer as you would most "organic" fertilizers because they have more nutrients usually and you can (I have when I went from 12-12-12 to 19-19-19) burn the plants.

To be successful (IMHO) all you need is water, soil tilth, sun, fertilizer and a LOT OF WEEDING. Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, even if some of the information is misleading, or even false, that does not make all of it false. Can we examine some of the statements to determine if they are false or true?
For instance, has anybody found that non-organic fertilizer attracts pests to plants? Or is it just that organically fertilized plants repel pests? I am using only organics this year and have very few pests so far.(knock wood) How is your garden doing with organic fertilizers?