Ornamental cabbage/kale

Schroeder

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm still enjoying these in my landscaping but plants purchased in the Fall are very expensive. Looking forward (already) to the next growing season, I'm wondering if I can grow my own in the garden, and then transplant them in September to pots and into my landscaping beds.

Since they are a cool season crop, is it practical outdoors in Zone 5? When would I sow the seeds?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi
I started ornamental cabbage and kale from seed a few years ago, zone 5.
You take your chances on them bolting or not looking too great come the end of the season if you start them too early or your summer is too warm.

I started the seeds inside April 20 and planted the seedlings in the garden in late May.
Six of the plants did great, beautiful display in Fall, right up to mid November!
One however displayed a really cool five foot tall cabbage TREE ... :lol:

6517_cimg6334.jpg

It looked rather interesting until the deer realized what an awesome salad bar it was ... :somad

This Master gardener site suggests to start them 10 weeks before your average first frost.

I'm not sure how they would transplant from the garden to a pot. It might be better to grow them in pots... ?
If you have a relatively mild growing season (not sure about your area) I say give it a shot... it only costs a buck or two for seeds... :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender2, your cabbage tree is too cool! Pretty in it's own special way...;) Did it ever make seed?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love ornamental cabbage!!! I have never started from seed, but I put in nursery transplants in the spring. They are very small, and reasonably priced (in a 6-pack thingy). I planted some in a mixed container, by fall they were great looking and the summer plants were on their way out...I did not try to transplant after they were already in the ground, but I bet it would work. Think spring!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Lavender2, your cabbage tree is too cool! Pretty in it's own special way...;) Did it ever make seed?
I almost pulled it up when it started to bolt. It was so lush and healthy looking, and it was growing so fast... I decided to see how tall it would get.

The deer ate it before it could produce seeds... they left a green pole... :(
I think I'll try these again next year... I mix up a mean deer repellent now!

Joe... I'm thinking you will have bolting success!... :coolsun

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Evil deer! My husband is waging war on them this week (bow season...lol).

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lavender2 said:
journey11 said:
I almost pulled it up when it started to bolt. It was so lush and healthy looking, and it was growing so fast... I decided to see how tall it would get.

The deer ate it before it could produce seeds... they left a green pole... :(
I think I'll try these again next year... I mix up a mean deer repellent now!

Joe... I'm thinking you will have bolting success!... :coolsun
Deer season starting here also, but for those left behind, I would love to hear more about that mean deer repellent. ?????

Latest posts