Ornamental Grass **PIX ADDED**

dixiechick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone....
New green-thumb here....quick question....I bought several ornamental grasses last year from Home Depot (who does not have them now) but they are evergreen, very spiky with deep purple feathery blooms this time of year. They grow about 4' high and 4' wide...and very quickly!

I believe they are native to Florida.....any idea what they are? I love them and want to get more!

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It sounds like it could be pampas grass. Could you post a picture?

Oh, and :woot welcome to TEG!!

dixiechick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I will tomorrow when it's light out....I think you are right, it is definately in the pampas family without the saraded (sp?) edges.....

Thanks for the welcome! :rose

dixiechick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OK...as luck would have it....I found the name:: MUHLY!! :dance

I am SO excited! I love this fast grower!!! It fit the profile of my garden:

dog-proof; kid-proof; evergreen, blooming, drought tolerant, freeze tolerant, neglect resistant!!

punkin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dixiechick said:
OK...as luck would have it....I found the name:: MUHLY!! :dance

I am SO excited! I love this fast grower!!! It fit the profile of my garden:

dog-proof; kid-proof; evergreen, blooming, drought tolerant, freeze tolerant, neglect resistant!!
Never heard of it but it sounds great. But, if it's like my zebra grass it will spread everywhere. I need to dig up most of it and relocate it.

dixiechick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, no no! It knows its manners. It grows in nice glumps....like a liriope or pampas grass might. I have decided to forget about running all over the state looking for it....we're going to divide them (when it's less than 100 degrees outside!!)

tfpets

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It sounds almost like the Purple Fountain Grass I got one year, it was beautiful for two years until my goats got into the yard, they ate it. It died back and never returned :( .

"Considered an annual in zones 7 and below, Purple Fountain Grass, also known as Rubrum, is a quick growing, virtually maintenance-free plant. Its vibrant red color is sure to be a stunning addition to your landscaping."

PurpleFountainGrass.jpg

(Its prettier than the pic, really bushy and has purple grass and nice plumes, not huge like pampas which grows to 10+ feet tall. You know if you have Pampas, so do your neighbors!)

Could it be Purple Fountain Grass??

Tina/tfpets

dixiechick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've tried purple fountain grass too. Mine died and never came back. This plant has spikier leaves that are dark green, which is a good contrast to the purple/pink blooms. These guys are MUCH hardier than the purple fountain grass was for me.

purpleMuhlygrass.jpg

Latest posts