Ornamental potato vines

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I purchased some potato vines to grow on top of my wall. They had no potatoes when I set them out. They only grew a little and not nearly as I had hoped so I don't know if the potatoes have formed. I want to keep them to put back there in the spring. Has anyone had luck overwintering them in the house as a potted plant or by storing the potato to set back out after the last frost? Some are the dark purple-leafed ones but the ones I want to save are a beautiful bronze leafed vine with chartruse new growth. I haven't seen but these in my area.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bring them in, as a house plant. A restaurant we go to, brings his in and they live all winter- no problem!

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have the black variety...along with the chartreuse variety...and also a tri-colored variegated (ivory, green, rose) variety.... I save my tubers and store them in my spare bedroom under the dresser. I tried storing them with my Dahlias in the basement but it was just too cold for these guys.... they were more tender than I thought. I had small pinkish blossoms on my black variety this year. Getting cold here....hope all is well, Happy Fall!!!:)

Latest posts