Our new Livestock Guardian Dogs. Oh yes, they love the garden too!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We drove to NY this past weekend and picked up these amazing pups. They will guard our cows, pigs, chickens and turkey from things that do not belong in our yard. Thus far it has worked on keeping the chipmunks out of the barn and out of the feed storage bins.

8199_wisdom_ride_home.jpg

This is our little girl Wisdom.

8199_primo_guarding_turkey_chicks.jpg

This is our little boy Primo, guarding the young turkey flock.

They have also discovered the garden and love to dig in it. :rolleyes: Time to fence in the garden!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, how adorable and fascinating! I really think these dogs are the answer to so many problems faced on the farm. If I ever have my "someday farm" they are on the list of must haves! I have to steel myself to the fact that they are not house dogs. Kind of tough when they are so darn cute! I am sure the digging is a puppy thing- fencing will probably be temporary. I would really appreciate updates on how they work out for you. Enjoy those beauties!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are they Marms or Pyreness?
My sister had two (and for a while 3) Pyreness that where house dogs !!!!!!

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks lesa! We have put huge stock in them that they will be the answers needed to actually keep our chicken flock, keep rodents out of the barn, bigger rodents (ground hogs) out of the garden and deter any random uninvited human guest. They don't look all that scary right now. But their adult size and adult bark should be intimidating to most things. They have already reduced the chipmunks in the barn food storage area.

Carol, They are Great Pyrenees X Karakachan. Both LGD's. The Great Pyrenees known as a gentle giant and the Karakachan is known to be more aggressive. Hopefully the combination of the two will have the desired effect. From my understanding, there are only about 300 full blooded Karakachan dogs in the US.

I will absolutely continue with updates as the mature.

p.s. lesa, I understand what you mean about the house dog thing. It is really tough, but I have been preparring mentally for weeks that inside the house is not where they are meant to be. I will have to stay strong in this department. :fl

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
but they are so cute.... I have never heard of a Karakachan breed before where do they come from????

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks momofdrew and ducks4you! Hey that rymes! :lol:

Our man door to the barn has a top/bottom. So that when they get a little older and we feel comfortable letting them be free 24/7 (for the most part) we will open the bottom and they can come and go and will have protection from weather and such. Hoping it will work out well.

This is the best way to explain the Karakachan. They are mountain dogs from Bulgaria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karakachan_Dog

Both of these breeds are clearly most happy when doing the job that has been in their lineage for hundreds of years. We will do our best to keep them busy with critters to watch (including grandchildren :D )

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Absolutely adorable!

Are you going to train yourself or hire someone who trains them for a living?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You just want to hug Primo! He is sooo cute! We used to have a great pyreness that we had to put to sleep due to hip problems. She was the only dog I wasn't afraid of. Still miss her.

Mary

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LGD's are the best thing since...well, they are just the best! I don't know how we could get along without Bruno and Mr Potamus. Your 'kids' are sooo cute! Congratulations!