Our SFGs- Pic Heavy

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here are some of our raised bed gardens;

6256_dsc03069.jpg

Note the two diff. covers-one allows the trapping of more heat. We kept it on over the winter, and were able to grow spinach,lettuce,broccolli and herbs all winter long.

6256_dsc03086.jpg

Another view of two planters, along with the two tiered planter we just finished which will have a trellis attached for our sprawlers.

6256_dsc03083.jpg

6256_dsc03100.jpg

And at night, with candles inside when we had our recent late season frost. Thanks to the candles, no casualties! (Plus, it looks really cool!)

6256_dsc03081.jpg

6256_dsc03075.jpg

Can't wait for stuff to grow!!!
:weee

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice, VERY nice!!
Those look very nice, and I like how they must save strain on your back.
Around here the covers would land them in Kansas, Dorothy!!!

THANX RICH

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lol! We had 40-60 mph gusts the other night, and they didn't budge. We thought we might put in a latch to help secure the lids when they are shut, but so far no problems.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking great! I really like the two tiered one, very cool. They so remind me of covered wagons. Love that you can keep things growing all year!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I can't do the neat and tidy stuff--I get dirt on my white pants 5 minutes after I put them on. My hair is tangled 30 minutes after intense combing. After gardening for an hour I have a dirt moustache and dirt-rouged cheeks, and filthy fingernails. I'm lucky to get through a paint job with the side of the barn looking clean!! :lol:

...seriously nice beds!!

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm the same way! The only difference with these is that my back doesn't hurt!:lol:

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm in Albuquerque, NM-zone 7a or 7b, depending who you ask. I don't see why rosemary wouldn't grow-so far I've talked to quite a few folks, and just about anything will grow in these wonderful contraptions (except corn and asparagus...). They not only protect against cold, but also wind (which is a big thing for us here in the spring).

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We seal the wood with linseed oil (which is not only pretty and allows the natural beauty of the wood show through, but smells like heaven to me!). Each summer I give them a new coat. They should last 5 or more years, even here in the desert heat, and then we will make new ones.

Latest posts