Overgrown Raspberries

Reaction score
What is the best way to thin raspberries. I have a wonderful friend who has a raspberry patch that needs help. Can I transplant some to my house? What is the best way to go about this task. Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Urban-farmerette

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi,

I would not transplant any if I were you, and certinaly wouldn't bring any into my own environment, since they often carry a host of diseases and things that can spread into your soil.

the best way to prune is to cut out-down to the soil- any canes that are more than 2 years old. raspberries only bear fruit on 2 year old canes, so if can keep it down to 1 and 2 year old canes you'll be allright. It's tricky though when you have a tangle of them and are trying to figure out what's what.

A neat trick is to get some white spray paint and spray the bottoms of the canes this spring when things start to grow, that way you can have a refrence point of how old the canes are next year when you go to prune.

with summer bearing berries you can prune the canes back down to the grown after harvest, late summer or fall, just be sure you're pruning out the canes that have made berries since they won't make berries next year.

have fun!

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I thin mine with a lawnmower. ;) We have WAY TOO many raspberry plants though my opinion of them may have to do with me being the one who has to ride past them on the mower.

I've moved them around the yard with no trouble at all. A crudely placed shovel to take em out and a little stomping on them in the new hole. My wife and kids like to collect the fruit, but the birds and other animals are much better at it. :lol:

My neighbor and I exchange plant materials on occassion. Using a bucket, he washes all of the soil from the roots of plants I give him before he puts them into the ground. Invasive grasses, among other things, are prevalent around here.

Urban-farmerette- the spray paint tip is a great idea. Thanks you.

S0rcy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A shovel shoved down in between them cuts off roots pretty effectively to keep them in place. They are, as Whatnow noted, almost ridiculously easy to transplant. Get some root and just shove it in the ground. Water it, you're done. No special care required. Worried about leaf mold and fungal diseases? no problem, strip the branch of all its leaves before transplanting into your hard. Most fungal diseases are on the leaves and planting on a nice warm sunny day will reduce your chances of infection by an enormous amount. The leaves will return quickly I pledge you. A snip right below the ground level is an effective way to trim mine. I keep mine neat as a pin next to the grapes on their wire frame, but they can go anywhere and still produce!

Many new sprouts away from the main bunch can just be pulled up roots and all if the soil isn't very hard.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that!!! I want some overgrown raspberries!!!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Urban-farmerette said:
Hi,

I would not transplant any if I were you, and certinaly wouldn't bring any into my own environment, since they often carry a host of diseases and things that can spread into your soil.

the best way to prune is to cut out-down to the soil- any canes that are more than 2 years old. raspberries only bear fruit on 2 year old canes, so if can keep it down to 1 and 2 year old canes you'll be allright. It's tricky though when you have a tangle of them and are trying to figure out what's what.

A neat trick is to get some white spray paint and spray the bottoms of the canes this spring when things start to grow, that way you can have a refrence point of how old the canes are next year when you go to prune.

with summer bearing berries you can prune the canes back down to the grown after harvest, late summer or fall, just be sure you're pruning out the canes that have made berries since they won't make berries next year.

have fun!
How can you tell if they're the ones that you can prune to the ground after they produce? We put some raspberries in last year and they produced some on the very ends of their canes. Now they are growing back, but no sign of life on the canes at all.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
What is the best way to thin raspberries. I have a wonderful friend who has a raspberry patch that needs help. Can I transplant some to my house? What is the best way to go about this task. Thanks in advance for all your help!!
They are very easy to transplant. Loosen the cane with a shovel and yank it out. You need not be careful. For her patch, cut old canes to the ground and trim remaining to waist high. If they are way overgrowing their patch they can be mowed down. The plants will return so they must be cut down over and over until they don't come back.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always wondered if I could move the raspberries in my yard...they were here when I moved in...they are a yellowish white...I dont know the cultivar...we keep them trimed down as they dont produce
much...

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's what I know and I don't know much...

Raspberries have a few types. Some are 1 year new growth only producers. Some will produce twice a year, once on 1 year old canes and then again on new growth (spring and fall types). Of course there is also the thornless single producing varieties. I have not tried these, but I've heard they are more temperamental with pruning.

They produce all their continuous new growth from the root, sending up new shoots/canes in the spring. Digging them up or cutting them back won't kill your plant. They produce from the root so much, if you dig them up and move them out... chances are you missed some root and they'll be back! Like blackberries, lots of the heritage grown types are invasive.

So plant at your own risk... we mow down TONS of raspberries from the lawn all year. Right now I have new growth everywhere... even 10 feet away from the raspberry bed we actually planted. These were all transplants from the neighbor's garden... and every single start we got took! VERY hardy breed we ended up with.

Latest posts