Overwintering

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Should this be the time when we give some thought to winter?!

When Eliot Coleman wrote his book about "Four Season Harvest," or shortly there after - he came up with a definition of what he called, the “Persephone Period.” It was named for the daughter of Demeter, the Greek Goddess of the Harvest. Each year, Demeter allows winter to overtake the Earth when Persephone is with Hades, in the Underworld.

According to the NOAA Solar Calculator (LINK) that period for my home begins right about November 1st. (Just move the red pin to your location on the map, pick some dates to see when the last 10 hour day occurs in 2020.)

Here is Johnny's Seeds on what and when you can plant under cover for winter harvest (LINK). I have no idea why it's so limited. When I have done this type of growing/harvesting, Asian vegetables like bok choy have played an important and successful role. I didn't go for any of Johnny's suggestions but the schedule seems like a place to start thinking about plant growth and transplanting.

Remember, the idea is mostly about harvesting - at least for this far north and elevation. The low angle of the sun and 10 hours and less of sunlight provides little light for plant photosynthesis. Of course, very low temperatures slows down the plants metabolism. Growing slows to nothing by late December. In my unheated greenhouse, added protection from the cold is needed. The plants are just fine and can be harvested through the winter. Small plants can catch the end of the Persephone Period (about February 10th, here) and be off to the races!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Ya know, after my vacation is over, you may hear VERY LITTLE from me, 'cause I'll be busy. Right Now, I have time to post And research. Here is a link to a program about a Maine farmer who grows 12 months out of the year.
Here is the guy's book, and I will be putting it on My Christmas list.
The link is there to watch the whole 30 minute program. I was FASCINATED!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know, after my vacation is over, you may hear VERY LITTLE from me, 'cause I'll be busy. Right Now, I have time to post And research. Here is a link to a program about a Maine farmer who grows 12 months out of the year.
Here is the guy's book, and I will be putting it on My Christmas list.
The link is there to watch the whole 30 minute program. I was FASCINATED!

This is really helpful information. I'll check it out the program when I have some free time.

Latest posts