:P Ideal Garden :P

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have an ideal vegetable garden and I have several . . .

An ideal garden would have no weeds, incredibly fertile soil, adequate water and sunlight, and no rocks! The plants would, therefore, grow to their full potential.

An ideal vegetable garden would be close to the kitchen. It would be small. It would only be large enough for me to grow absolutely everything I would want for the table. Everything in it at any moment during the year would be appropriate to the season. It would not only be full of growing plants but what plants are there would be changing, in succession. The season of harvest would match, as nearly as possible, the entire growing season.

Would you like to have an ideal garden? Want to add something to mine :)? What would yours look like and how would it grow?

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
<~~ Just wants to sit in your garden and soak up all the wonderfulness.
onion049.gif

But if I were to add anything, it would be that this garden has only lovely helpful bugs. And flowers.. it would need some flowers too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, the flowers would always be beautiful.

Deadheading would be the responsibility of the plants ;).

Even during the winter, the perennials would have that "interesting" look that the garden writers are always telling us about.

Steve :bouquet

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just like that, except my ideal garden would be HUGE!

My ideal huge garden would also include a perimeter garden that would stop the varmints from wanting to go any further in, a garden just for them, lol! Oh, and the varmint perimeter garden would have in it some plant that makes natural but potent birth control, lol!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As far as my edible garden mine would have things timed out together for when we're making things. Multiple varieties of tomatoes coming in together, carrots, onion, peppers garlic, etc so when we can its all picked and what grew together is cooked together. I'm still trying new varieties which is fun but frustrating too. Descriptions don't always pan out, or are just vague enough that I'm intrigued (especially with the price of seeds) so I give it a whirl and figure what the heck? I've found some definite "must plant again" and some "wow that was a waste of space" along the way too. Interesting thing I've noticed is the "must plant again' are usually impulse purchases and the "waste of space" purchases are the ones I've been wanting to try that just don't measure up. Interesting how that works. But you never know till you try.

I'd have enough space for all the perennials I want that feed us. Things like rhubarb by the bucketful, just enough horseradish, and a whole mess of berries. Strawberries, blackberries (thornless), raspberries, and blueberries in enough quantity for me to not have to go the U picks, along with my apple and peach trees. I enjoy going to the U picks don't get me wrong but sometimes it would be nice to get more when I want them rather than planning a special trip to get more.

I'd have a couple of hives going to increase production, and a ready supply of nitrogen rich manure from a self sustaining meat source or two. The hives are pollination first, honey production second. I really like honey but its not why they are there.

I'd have a couple of flower gardens too. My rose garden would have a flagstone pathway leading through it to a place to rest, reflect, and just relax. Be it a gazebo or a bench of some kind I'm not sure yet. I'd have some little creeper plants planted between the flagstones to help soften the often sharp edges of the flagstone.

I'd have a small pond with a handful of fish in it.

And we can't forget the perennial beds. The goal would be color from frost to frost. From crocus and hyacinth to burning bushes and dwarf Japanese maples just for some ideas. Not sure exactly how it would be laid out and planted but it would be something I'd be working towards.

That's my ideal and it gives me something to work towards. Feel free to check back and see how its going :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree with just out my kitchen door. (had that and wife and daughter made me move it)
Everything I want to eat within easy reach. See above.........
Beautiful fence around garden with an arched gate way with beautiful flowering vines (that don't become evasive) with a place to sit to drink coffee or tea in AM. (Have place to sit in new garden)
Bird houses placed in fences with hummingbird feeder within 5' of relaxing point.
Both inside fence and outside, flowers.
Agree with perfect soils where weeds won't grow.
Water spout with small pond with small fish that won't freeze in winter. Along with bird bath (can't have birds bathing in fish water)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No varmints to free-load off my hard work!

Yes, trees and berries -- all well-mannered.

Fish & fowl - of course!

I want a small garden that just almost automatically grows all that I need with no fuss! Leaving things for DW isn't really fair. It would do wonders for our relationship if I didn't just assume that since she wants all those chive plants and Oriental lilies that she will be the one to keep the bindweed & crabgrass out of them. Pare it down to her 4' by 4' patch of chives and dozen or so lilies, if that's all I have to do a couple mornings a year, I can keep the weeds out of them!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner!

See above: incredibly fertile soil.

The best way for it to be that way - feed it. Probably "people food" is better than any alternative. I am here to testify that it is incredibly hungry!

Steve