Packed a Peck of Pickled Peppers

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I found an interesting way to pickle some peppers.
If nothing else in my garden produces in abundance this year I'll still have more than my share of peppers. I've looked at a bunch of ways to pickle them and have even bought some of the things a person would need to pull off the task. Just can never find time to do the deed.

I was in our local Ice Cream shop monday and they asked if I still wanted their empty 5 gal. pickle buckets. I said sure and the owners daughter said they had one so wait a min. while she dumped the remaining juice out.

I told her to just leave it in the bucket and I'd try something with it.

Came home and washed up a bunch of peppers, filling a glass half gallon jar. I then added a bunch of the juice while working the air out of the peppers. I left a half inch of space at the top and I'm now waiting for the results.

I got this idea after tasting some wonderful pickled jalapeons that the cook at a local resturant had whipped up by removing half the pickles from a gallon jug of dills and adding peppers to the remaining space.

I just hope my way will work without having the actual pickles still in the jug.

THANX RICH

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't know why it wouldn't. You might try adding some more vinegar though. The old vinegar may have been weakened by the cucumber juice, which is mainly water.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard of people doing that. I don't know how they'd keep water bath canned, but they'd definitely work as refridgerator pickles. As Hoodat said, add a little more vinegar.

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hasn't been a month yet, but I did start another batch and added the suggested extra vinegar.

THANX RICH