Painting tree trunks against insects

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I always see fruit tree trunks painted white to prevent insect damage. Would any color of paint work? I don't like the look of white tree trunks. Or would just spraying with neem oil or similar product prevent borer damage just as well as paint?

Trisha in N. California

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know if there is something else that happens where you are, but here in the northeast and north, the reason for painting trunks white is not insects, it is to prevent frost-cracking of the bark in late winter and early spring.

AFAIK any white latex paint is fine, thinned with water to become sort of 'whitewash'. Or for a small number of trees you can use those plastic spiral tree wraps or any of a number of other solutions. Again, though, that is to protect bark against frost cracking.

JME, good luck, have fun,

Pat

Northernrose

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Here in N. California everyone still paints the tree trunks, but freezing isn't much of a problem. I was told it was to prevent insect damage. Maybe sun damage too.

I'm planning on planting about 20 fruit trees in a mixed landscape. White tree trunks just won't look right. :rolleyes:

If I end up with problems I guess I could always spray, but I would prefer not too.

Trisha

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never heard of painting tree trunks against insects, maybe it does work.

Good Luck! ;)