pansy seedlings..

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i have a few containers of pansy that have started sprouting, i want to move them to the greenhouse to give them sun but it looks like it will be cloudy for 3 days and i dont want them to get leggy, should i just keep them inside with a lamp on them?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Benefit would depend on how much more light they would get under the light.

Viola family are fairly tuff characters . . . despite their names.

Your shrinking violets would naturally be low-growing and therefore probably shaded plants. I know that you are wanting them to get with the program . . . you are starting them in April :/? But, I suspect you have an outdoor environment where they should be around for years bringing you some joy with their happy little faces.

A few days shouldn't make a lot of difference . . . where did all these other words about pansies come from? Okay, I like 'em. Should put those little faces in ice cubes to look back at me from the ice tea during the tuff days of Summer heat ;).

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,
thanks digits so your saying just move them outside to the greenhouse instead of giving them light?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suspect it will be 6 in one, half-dozen in the other.

If the greenhouse has lower temperatures and the amount of light is about the same - I'd go with the greenhouse.

Not enuf light - lower temperatures.
Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I suspect it will be 6 in one, half-dozen in the other.

If the greenhouse has lower temperatures and the amount of light is about the same - I'd go with the greenhouse.

Not enuf light - lower temperatures.
Steve
Well there wont be much light in the greenhouse with the cloudy weather. But i guess leaving in the greenhouse wont hurt.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I checked my pansy seedlings today they look a little better they got more green on them then yesterday, i was just wondering they are a little leggy about 1 1/2 inch high, has anyone had pansy grow this tall and still make it?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depends on the variety, some of the large ones would get that tall as seedlings, the smaller ones are much smaller. I could tell you the UK names but I suspect your names over there are different. I think they are beautiful plants that are often taken for granted. They are such strong little things that survive & reseed themselves. I also take cuttings of my favourites! Good luck with yours. :happy_flower

Happy Gardening. :tools

:rose Hattie :rose

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Depends on the variety, some of the large ones would get that tall as seedlings, the smaller ones are much smaller. I could tell you the UK names but I suspect your names over there are different. I think they are beautiful plants that are often taken for granted. They are such strong little things that survive & reseed themselves. I also take cuttings of my favourites! Good luck with yours. :happy_flower

Happy Gardening. :tools

:rose Hattie :rose
Thanks Hattie,
i love pansies they are amazing flowers. I probably will sow some new seed in case these seedlings dont make it i might even try a few other varities that look nice. What surprised me was that they only took a week to germinate instead of 2 weeks which i think is the usual time, last year when i sowed pansy seeds early may they had first blooms in july.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted my pansies outside last week. They like cooler temps and shade/sun mix.

Mine were hardened off for a few weeks, but they're growing just fine (and I'm in zone 3 :p ).

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I planted my pansies outside last week. They like cooler temps and shade/sun mix.

Mine were hardened off for a few weeks, but they're growing just fine (and I'm in zone 3 :p ).
did any of your seedling get leggy, or if they didnt were any taller than 1 inch?

Latest posts