Papas Amarillas

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about a potato called Papa Amarilla. I encountered it once at the farmers market many years ago. It is a smallish potato with INTENSLY yellow flesh (like egg yolk/saffron yellow) and a very rich taste. I never saw them again, and when I have tried to look them up online, what I find are recipes for the dish Papas Amarillas.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amigo Foods have them. They are proud of them.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

"They are part of the phureja (or goniocalyx) group and are one of many different varieties of papas amarilla, or yellow potato." which to me indicates something you seek as a singular may be a multiple...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything I found under "Papas Amarillas" was boiled, frozen, or otherwise processed. I did find references though that listed "Papa Criolla" as a synonym. They are listed as a short-day potato, so probably unsuitable for your latitude. More info here:
NMSU Papa Criolla

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything I found under "Papas Amarillas" was boiled, frozen, or otherwise processed. I did find references though that listed "Papa Criolla" as a synonym. They are listed as a short-day potato, so probably unsuitable for your latitude. More info here:
NMSU Papa Criolla
Probably not the one then. As I said, I encountered the potatoes at a farmer's market in NYC, and by their own rules, any vegetables sold there have to have been grown within 100 miles, so there has to be SOME version that can be grown here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yellow is amarillo in Spanish. so what you are looking for is a yellow potato of which there are likely many different kinds.

Latest posts