Parsley in Winter?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulling up some dried flower stalks in a bed on the east side of my house today, I discovered some tiny flat-leaf parsley seedlings that have sprouted from a 2-year old plant that was there. I needed to plant more parsley in the spring anyway, so I wonder if I can save these? Should I leave them there, cover with mulch, bring them inside under the gro-lights, or just let nature take its course?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know lucky I was thinking the same thing about my parsley today,pull or leave?
Since it was suppost to have been romaine lettuce and in a prime spot, decided to pull
It and not let it overwinter. Since a Packet of seeds is cheap going to start over next
Spring in the raised bed we are going to use for herbs.

Would be interesting to see if putting straw over it will it survive the winter
In your zone and as always a little fresh parsley in the window would be nice
During the winter time.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've wondered about parsley, So Lucky.

I have it every year, it is a biennial so it shouldn't be much food use its 2nd year. I grow it as an annual.

However, in southern Oregon, parsley grew near the house - fighting it out with the lawn grass. It was back each year on its own. Obviously, it was reseeding itself. It didn't bloom, go to seed and then die, with nothing growing there until the seeds germinated. There were always nice fresh parsley leaves to harvest. Maybe it got itself all sorted out so that there were 1st year and 2nd year plants growing at the same time in the same place.

I'm sure that the parsley plants survive the winters here but I start new plants in the spring. So . . . that's not much of an answer to your question! My guess is that given your location, those seedlings can survive on their own over the winter.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted parsley once, many years ago... It comes up every year. I don't cover it, or do anything special. Give it a try. If it is gone, come spring you can always replant.

Latest posts