Part of my Property!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! :frow

I just came back a few weeks from visiting my parent's property,which is also mine as well in N.C. I just absolutely love it there! :D I could stay there forever and never complain, definitely better living there then here in NY. I've been adding more flowers and plants to my collection there, I just started planting for the very first time there last year on new soil, so to speak. I'm thinking of what I would like to get done with all that room, its a little more than 1 acre maybe 1 acre and 1/2. One thing I really wanted that I've always dreamed of is a nice orchard in the back. Here in NY I do have a lot of fig trees and other plantings that I have in a smaller space. I already have started it with a few fig trees and a cherry tree, and I hope to add more nice trees this coming Spring. I couldn't be more happy and motivated with this property it's what I've always wanted in my life.
I took some pictures of my property while I was visiting:

(This is a flower bed next to the walkway. This is where I started planting fall bulbs last year and I did plant other fall bulbs when I visited. I plan on adding some perennials to this bed as well.)

(Walkway)

(This is where I would like to plant my orchard at the back of the house. This area seems to get lots of sun and the property has a slope to it which is good for drainage and to prevents possible floods.)

(Here's the start of the orchard so far, Cherry Tree.)

(One of my figs I have 3 planted so far)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A charming home, GT!

Can you tell us more about the figs??

How do you "get away" with having them in NY?

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What fun to have a garden in two such different zones! That will be all year around gardening! I think the fruit trees will be a very worthwhile investment... Can't wait to hear your continued progress!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be fun to hear of your progress GT. It looks like a lovely setting, and seems like a somewhat "clean" slate, (no renovating someone else's bad landscaping )
I'm curious about your northern figs too! :)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Oh yeah I'm looking forward to get the orchard of my dreams planted.
Well the fig trees that I have here in NY were all planted by my dad awhile back ago at least 10 years ago. I have about 6 fig trees, 4 of them are white figs while the other are purple figs. I actually had 7 trees but I planted one in N.C. The trees here are pretty huge, definitely taller than me, lots of times when the figs are ripe I end up climbing the tree to get the figs :gig . We do cover the trees in late fall with tarp to protect the trees during the winter, then take them down in Spring.
They seem to do well here, but I think growing figs in N.C. might be a better climate then here. That hot sunny weather when growing figs gives them more flavor and especially sweetness. My cousin who lives there also has fig trees there and this summer they gave me a huge bowl full of them to make jam, I couldn't believe the taste they had they were nice and sweet with an interesting flavor. I've tasted figs from my trees but I taste something different with theirs, its amazing how two different climates can have an impact on how they taste.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Isn't NC the best weather! LOL (except in July and January! hahaha)

Anyways, I seen a nice spot in that front bed where the house goes back to a window. I think a nice sky pencil (tall thin holly/evergreen bush) would look amazing there to add to the height! :D

Just a suggestion!

Love the orchard coming together, it does look like the perfect area for it. :thumbsup

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks vfem! ;)

I agree with you a nice tall type of bush would look nice there, making the house look even more appealing. I'm really going to spend a lot of time during the Winter researching different plants and trees for my orchard on the computer to find the perfect plants for the property, but I do like the Sky Pencil bush. I know my cousin has one of those bush and every time I look at it in his property, I'm thinking of getting some.
Last year I planted some Juniper bushes and I'm so glad I did their so beautiful with their bluish gray color, they really do look amazing as an evergreen.

Thank You hypnofrogstevie!
That's what I say every time I go back there to visit, its just so beautiful!! :rainbow-sun
Good Luck with getting some acreage of your own, I definitely recommend it!! ;) Life's too short, you should enjoy it any way you can.