paste tomatoes

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What variety would you suggest is the best. I like to make salsa and spaghettie sauce. I like the old Roma's for flavor but have to pick too many. Are there any indetermite varieties? Hate the fact that they all come on at once and then over..

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
What variety would you suggest is the best. I like to make salsa and spaghettie sauce. I like the old Roma's for flavor but have to pick too many. Are there any indetermite varieties? Hate the fact that they all come on at once and then over..
Amish Paste? I think it's an indeterminate.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I liked the Ropreco Paste I got last year. They were indeterminate. Did very well in clay soil amended with chicken litter and cow manure. This year I'm trying Amish Paste, Banana and Heidi as well.

The thing about the ones that come on bit by bit is, you're going to be canning only 2-4 quarts of sauce every weekend. I got kind of tired of making messes in the kitchen every single weekend. It's not bad when you start, but by Sept-Oct you're ready to start canning other stuff, except you have no room because you're still doing tomatoes also.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I got 4 Amish past tomato plants last year and all 4 plants looked different. I did not like any of the tomatoes. Some were very long, some were round, some were very small and some were very large. I won't make that mistake again.

I ended up just using my Celebrities for my tomato sauce, just had to let it cook down a little longer.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
I got 4 Amish past tomato plants last year and all 4 plants looked different. I did not like any of the tomatoes. Some were very long, some were round, some were very small and some were very large. I won't make that mistake again.

I ended up just using my Celebrities for my tomato sauce, just had to let it cook down a little longer.
Sounds like they cross pollinated with other tomatoes...kind of like my "squmpkins" from last year. :gig

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here's my 2009 tomato master list. This is what I'm planting this year:
Some of these go to customers and ALL hybrids go to customers. I've marked the ones that are pastes and all of them are tried and true favorites.
2009 Master List

Red brandywine-heirloom-tomatomania
Carmello-dehybridized-tomatomania
Red Celebrity-hybrid-Totally Tomatoes-tomatomania
Red Czech-heirloom-tomatomania
German Giant-heirloom-tomatomania
German Red Strawberry-heirloom-tomatomania
Rutgers-heirloom-1 Pinetree/1saved seed/tomatomania
Serbian-heirloom-tomatomania
Stupice-heirloom-Seed Savers/saved seed/tomatomania
Thessaloniki Oxheart-heirloom-tomatomania-PASTE
Black Zebra-heirloom-tomatomania
Mr Stripey-heirloom-tomatomania
Paul Robeson-heirloom-tomatomania
Prudens Purple-heirloom-tomatomania
Isis Candy (cherry)-heirloom-tomatomania
Hawaiian Currant (cherry)-heirloom-tomatomania
sungold (cherry)-heirloom-Totally Tomatoes/saved seed/tomatomania
Gallo Plum (paste)-heirloom-tomatomania-PASTE
Mom's Paste (paste)-heirloom-Boo/saved seed-tomatomania-PASTE
Opalka (paste)-heirloom-Pinetree/saved seed/Seed savers/tomatomania
Roma (paste)-heirloom-tomatomania-PASTE
Brandywine-heirloom-1Pinetree/1saved seed-tomatomania
Caspian Pink-heirloom-tomatomania
Costuluto Genovese-tomatomania-PASTE
Kellogg's Breakfast-heirloom (1 Pinetree/1 saved seed/Totally Tomatoes-tomatomania
Polish Linguisa (paste)-heirloom-Pinetree-PASTE
Riesentraube (cherry)-heirloom-Pinetree
Gardeners delight (cherry)-heirloom-Pinetree
Black Krim-heirloom-Pinetree
Yellow Pear-heirloom-Pinetree
Golden Mama-hybrid-Burpees
Amish Paste-heirloom-Seed Savers-PASTE
Black Pineapple-heirloom-Boo
Black Zebra-heirloom-Boo
Purple Brandywine-heirloom-Boo
Black Sarah-heirloom-Boo
Early Girl-hybrid-Gurneys
Burgermaster-hybrid-Gurneys

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew San Marzano last year, first time growing these, and they did ok. I wasn't overly impressed with the yield but they were extremely easy to process. I planned to add some Rutgers this year, which I see on farmelor's list. I have never grown this variety either. What can I expect as far as productivity?

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bid said:
I grew San Marzano last year, first time growing these, and they did ok. I wasn't overly impressed with the yield but they were extremely easy to process. I planned to add some Rutgers this year, which I see on farmelor's list. I have never grown this variety either. What can I expect as far as productivity?
We have phenomenal harvests from Rutgers. Lots and lots and lots of medium sized tomatoes with wonderful flavor, no cracking and nice dense bush size instead of the huge, sprawling vines that we get from some of my other favorite tomatoes. Now, that said, it's all going to be dependent upon how good your soil condition is. I usually add a teaspoon of epsom salts (which is NOT a salt) in the hole before planting and that's the only fertilizer I use.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was given La Rossa Paste Tomatoes, I am yet to try them... but I'm going to try this year. I was told they are pretty Prolific growers. My Roma's didn't do good at all last year! (For these I read they prefer a 'seaweed' fertilizer.)