Paste?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Anyone here make / can tomato paste? Like the good thick open the can hold it upside down and nothing comes out paste?

I would like a recipe if you have it.

Thanks
Hobby

JanieMarie

Sprout
Reaction score
I made ketchup once and only oncewhen I was young. To get it that thick took forever to cook down. Flavor was really good tho! I think for paste you'd have to cook it down for a week! There must be something to thicken it up faster - maybe someone out there knows?

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found this recipe at the recipezaar website.

Homemade Tomato Paste Recipe #180683
This makes a great gift and is so useful in your cupboard! Adapted from Razzle Dazzle Recipes and changed a bit! This may be canned or poured into ice cube trays and frozen, to use when needed!
by Sharon123
4 hours | 20 min prep

9 1/2 pint jars

8 quarts roma tomatoes, about 4 dozen (or other meaty tomatoes)
1 1/2 cups sweet red peppers, chopped (about 3)
1 cup chopped onion (optional)
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano (optional)
1-2 tablespoon honey (optional-if you want it a little sweeter)
1 tablespoon salt
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Wash and trim tomatoes. Blanch and remove skin if desired, or press through sieve when done cooking.
Combine tomatoes, red peppers,onions, bay leaves, basil,oregano, honey, if using, and salt in a large stockpot and cook slowly for about 1 hour.
Press through a fine sieve. Add garlic, and continue cooking slowly until thick enough to keep its shape on a spoon, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir frequently to keep from sticking.(this could be done in a crockpot-just stir and keep an eye on it).
Pour through sieve(if you left the skins on), then pour into hot 1/2 pint canning jars, leaving 1/2" headspace.
Process 1/2 pints 45 minutes in a boiling water bath.
Makes about 9 1/2 pint jars

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I make the kind of thick, rich paste you refer to simply by cooking down my tomato sauce. The more you cook it, the thicker and richer it becomes. I always thought that was paste......

Anne

MrsCountryChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
DD Ranch said:
I make the kind of thick, rich paste you refer to simply by cooking down my tomato sauce. The more you cook it, the thicker and richer it becomes. I always thought that was paste......

Anne
That's what I mean when I refer to tomato paste. How do you make yours?

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Do you dehydrate? Let the dehydrator "cook" the moisture out for you on leather trays while you go about your other business. Then add water back in to get the desired consistency. It still takes a long time but at least your not tied to the stove all day.

DDRanch

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
MrsCountryChick,

My tomatos sauce consists of tomatos, bell peppers, garlic, onions, parsley, sage, rosemary, & thyme, basil, slow roasted in oven 300 degrees drizzled with olive oil and covered with foil for 3 to 4 hours. I use mostly sauce tomatoes, skin on, seeds in. But will actually cook whatever type of tomato is ready in my garden. Mash down and stir every hour.

Then I transfer and cook on top of the stove for another couple of hours, adding some tomato paste to reduce the acidic taste. A couple of Tablespoons.

Then I blend all together with a hand mixer and can. If I want a chunkier sytle sauce, I don't blend for as long. For years, I have just taken my pressure cooker to 15 pounds and then turned off the heat.

To make paste: After blending, put back on the stove, very low heat and cook down to the desired consistency. They you can freeze or can.

I have found that when I don't have the time to skin and cook, this roasting works out very well. It's a real time saver and tastes delicious.

Anne

Latest posts