Patandchickens? Stovetop barbeque?

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey Pat, (edited) as in patandchickens duh me!

I meant to ask you earlier, but I would sure love your recipe for stove top NC barbeque when you get the time...no hurry with the holidays and all. I'll post the green tomato parmagiana one if anyone wants....which gets me to thinking,

Nifty, 'how bout a category for recipes (from all the yummy veggies we are gonna be loaded down with next year) :fl ?

I like this one....... :bouquet

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
sgtsheart said:
Nifty, 'how bout a category for recipes (from all the yummy veggies we are gonna be loaded down with next year) :fl ?
I like that idea!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, just back from visiting my family in PA, here you go!

At first the recipe looks horribly complicated but IT IS NOT AT ALL! Basically you're just simmering the pork, then roasting it, with a few additions that sort of 'progress' thru the recipe. Dead easy, it takes several hrs cooking time and occasional basting but no actual work or talent at all. That's one reason I like it :)

Ingredients are boldfaced throughout the recipe 'cuz it's easier than writing them all at the beginning. Read whole recipe thru before starting.

'Fake' NC BBQ

Stage 1:
Into a deep nonaluminum pot, put
1 bone-in picnic shoulder pork roast ~6 lbs, skin removed
8 cloves garlic, peeled, whole
2 c vinegar
(you will need another 1 3/4 c later in recipe)
and add water to cover by 2". Bring to boil on High, skimming foam at first, then reduce heat to Med Low, cover partly, and simmer 2 1/2 hours. Add hot water if needed to keep meat covered, though I never actually need to.
Drain and move meat to lightly oiled rack in roasting pan (at this point, RESERVE THE GARLIC AND 1/4 C OF THE LIQUID!).
Preheat oven to 350 F.

Stage 2:
In small bowl, mix the following well:
the reserved cooked garlic, mashed into a paste
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 c vinegar
1/2 Tbsp cayenne, more or less
1/2 tsp sugar
black pepper

This will be the 'mop sauce' for the roast. Slop some onto the roast and pop the roast into the 350 degree oven, immediately lowering the temperature to 300 degrees once the roast is in.
Baste with remaining mop sauce every 15 minutes, roasting a total of 2 hours, turning once partway through, til roast is slightly crusty on the outside and tender inside.
Remove from oven and place meat into large bowl etc to cool somewhat - careful, it will want to fall apart.

Stage 3:
Ladle any liquid fat out of roast pan. Put the remaining mop sauce plus that 1/4 c simmering liquid that you reserved into the roasting pan and scrape well to get all the nice roasty bits. Just heat through, don't boil or reduce. Add 1/3 c BBQ sauce (I make my own, but you could use bottled just fine) and set the resulting "finishing sauce" aside for a minute.
If the pork is cool enough to handle yet, discard fat and bone. I pull it into thin shreds but you can chop it if you prefer (it is too falling-apart to slice well but you could try). Put into a bowl. Pour the "finishing sauce" that you made over the pork, stir well, let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 12 hours and preferably overnight. Honest, do not eat or judge it til the next day, it makes a big difference!

THe recipe says reheat in oven but I microwave it. Oh, man, now I'm hungry. GOtta wait for a sale on picnic shoulder.... :p

Pat

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Pat and here's hoping you have a wonderful Christmas and brightest blessings for the New Year.

Latest posts