pattypan squash not setting fruit

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got two pattypan squash plants sitting right between my crook-necked squash and my pickling cucs. The crook-necked squash and the cucs are very prolific, but the patty pan, although with lots of blooms, has not produced even a hint of any fruit. Is there an anomally of the patty pan that it might produce all male blossoms? I thought with two plants I'd make sure that I'd get both male and female blossoms.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started to wonder the same thing about my hot house cukes earlier this year. It looked like dozens of male blossoms, no female. I couldn't figure out why that happened. :/ Eventually the female flowers appeared. It looks like I may get a few cukes for my efforts after all. There are still male flowers outnumbering the female about 20 to 1. Wish I knew what cause's that to happen.

I also notice that the male flowers stay blossoming for much longer than the females. If I don't pollinate the females the same day they finally open, I end up with a tiny withered little 1" cuke, that turns brown and falls off.

100_0547.jpg

100_0546.jpg

100_0545.jpg

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bills can you post a few picts of that hot house and what you have going on inside it?

How can you tell the difference between male and female flowers?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Bills can you post a few picts of that hot house and what you have going on inside it?

How can you tell the difference between male and female flowers?
I really don't want to hi-jack blurose's thread, so I will post a seperate thread with greenhouse photos, as well as pics of the different blossoms, etc. :)

Latest posts