Pea plants are good for how long?

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
do the plants bear peas once and then i knock them down for new plants? or do they keep yeilding peas until winter shuts them down?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They peter out pretty quick, but look for new blossoms before you yank them. Mine turn brown when they're finished. I love fresh peas!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine lasted a little longer than I thought they would. I planted early spring and thought I would replant something else in the spot...The peas weren't done till the end of June, so not much time left in zone 4. Nothing beats fresh, garden peas...Enjoy!

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I learned last year that the greens are edible, so this is a way to extend the harvest!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It won't be the cold weather that puts a stop to the peas, unless they are the ones sown for an Autumn harvest.

The mildew chews up my plants during the heat of Summer. The plants go from pea green to being dusted with white. Late blooms usually start turning brown instead of producing little pea pods :/.

Don't be afraid to replant peas when cool weather is approaching. For me, that means sowing seed during the hottest week of the year - right at the end of July. There I am, staggering around in 90 degree heat putting snow pea seed in the ground :rolleyes:.

They germinate well and in about 4 weeks, the August rains cool things down. By mid September they are flowering and I start getting snow peas. I've picked pods when they've been covered by frost. (Which is much better than mildew.)

Pea vines have the same flavor as the pods :p. They are especially attractive if they've got a pretty white flower - you are only taking the final 8 inches or so off the vine. The plants can continue to grow and produce a crop of peas if you don't "graze" them too hard ;).

Steve

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My peas were finishing up and pulled 1/2 my plants already that went brown. The rest have started flowering so I'm going to give them another week to see if the produce or die back.

I know peas NEED the cool weather.... sometimes they can deal with the heat for a little while. Like Steve said that heat causes more problems then cold weather does. In my Zone I'm replanting peas in August rather then July. My Zone will allow me to harvest in October right before I will harvest more potatoes to go with them!

Yes, the tender new vine you can nip off and eat. I see it in a lot of asian dishes.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

Pea vine tops are now a really trendy veg here in the UK, all the top chefs want them. You can use them raw or just steam for a short time. Myself I just munch them in passing the pea patch..........Mmmmm!

My pea patch is full of lovely white flowers & immature pea pods and I'm already gorging myself silly. :celebrate

The broad beans are now 3" long so I'm going to pick some today & steam & eat the entire pod. The Southern Europeans do this but us Northerners tend not to -- I'm with the Southerners! :tongue :gig

:rose Hattie :rose

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always let my peas in the soil after they die for a few days as their roots let out nitrogen wich is good for the soil. I do the same with my beans.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Aha--I finally found my recipe :)

Pea Vine And Spinach LasagnaHarmony Valley Farm

1 bunch pea vine, separated, stemmed, and chopped
4 cups spinach
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
2 T olive oil
2 cups tomatoes diced (canned or fresh)
1/4 c. fresh herb, your favorite, chopped (thyme, marjoram, oregano, or tarragon)
15 lasagna noodles, cooked, and rinsed
1 cup fresh soft cheese (ricotta, fresh goat cheese, even drained cottage cheese)
1 pounds low-moisture cheese (mozzarella, white cheddar, Asiago, Monterey Jack)
S&P to taste

Heat two saut pans, each with 1 T oil. Add of the onion and garlic to each pan. When garlic begins to become translucent, add spinach to one pan, pea vine to the other. Cook just until wilted. Season, remove from heat, and set aside. In a bowl combine tomatoes, herbs, S&P, and a splash of olive oil (1 t). In a baking dish place c. tomato mixture. Layer three noodles, then low moisture cheese, then cooked pea vine, high moisture cheese, and more noodles. continue making layers alternating spinach and pea vine. Top, final layer of noodles with low moisture cheese, then with remaining tomatoes, sprinkle tomatoes with any remaining cheese. Bake at 350 F for about 1 - 1 hours, or until heated through. Let dish rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.

Latest posts