Pea Plants turning yellow

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have pea plants that are about 2' tall. I've been able to harvest some peas, but the plants are all starting to turn yellow and the pods on those plants are drying out. The weather has been very hot and humid (heat index over 100), but I've watered them well. The soil is sandy and drains very well. I may have planted them a bit close, but I've removed the plants that looked the worst. Is this the normal time of year for them to be spent?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
it is if it is a 100+ with high humidity. Peas don't like hot at all. Wait til fall and plant them again, you will have time.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My sugar snap peas have been producing for about a month and a half now and they are starting to yellow in the heat and humidity. I think it is about time to start thinking about pulling them and getting ready to plant another round in a few weeks for the fall. Peas are a cool weather crop and don't do well in heat, so it could be that is what is going on with yours. They should be planted in the spring right after the soil can be first worked. I planted mine in the end of March. Our friends planted theirs Memorial Day weekend and they are having a tough time keeping theirs from yellowing before they bear fruit.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to agree with the others regarding peas and the heat. They don't like it.

However, if you can provide some shade for them and keep them well watered they should be able to do well and keep producing. Snap peas for us have been a year around crop out here, provided they have shade and water.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Not to steal the thread, but about planting a second round is that possible in zone 5? If this year is like the last it shouldn't get too cold until mid oct-nov. I would love to pull and get a second crop in yet!

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sarah_mom2four, you certainly can plant more peas for the fall harvest. All you need to do is look on the back of the seed packet to see how many days to harvest. Count that many days backwards from the first frost date and you have your planting date.
Example: We are planting more sugar snap peas for the fall. They take 70 days for harvest. We also live in zone 5. First frost date is Oct. 15. Counting backwards the 70 days puts us at Aug 7th planting. I will plant this Sunday just to give the extra week because the peas we planted this spring took about 1 week longer than anticipated to bear fruit and I want enough days for them to keep on coming in.

Hope this helps! :happy_flower Oh, BTW you can use the calculation for any seed. Good luck!

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
peas don't care much for the heat, they are best grown in the spring and fall I normally let them die off in the summer and replant intime for fall!

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
GardenGirl said:
Sarah_mom2four, you certainly can plant more peas for the fall harvest. All you need to do is look on the back of the seed packet to see how many days to harvest. Count that many days backwards from the first frost date and you have your planting date.
Example: We are planting more sugar snap peas for the fall. They take 70 days for harvest. We also live in zone 5. First frost date is Oct. 15. Counting backwards the 70 days puts us at Aug 7th planting. I will plant this Sunday just to give the extra week because the peas we planted this spring took about 1 week longer than anticipated to bear fruit and I want enough days for them to keep on coming in.

Hope this helps! :happy_flower Oh, BTW you can use the calculation for any seed. Good luck!
Shoot lol I lied I'm Zone 4 I keep forgetting. But thanks so much on the calculation thing. I will plant them and hope they are ready for harvest in time if not then it's just a few seeds anyway! Good luck with yours I hope you get tons of them!

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sunnychooks, you could let the pods that are drying out, continue to dry. If the peas in them have reached full size, you could plant them for your next crop. At least they won't have gone to waste.

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bills said:
Sunnychooks, you could let the pods that are drying out, continue to dry. If the peas in them have reached full size, you could plant them for your next crop. At least they won't have gone to waste.
Thanks for the tip, bills!
I plan on planting more peas in the fall, so I'll save the dried ones and use those! :)

Latest posts