Pea Sheller?

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This year, I'm going to try raising field peas since they'll grow well in the heat in the middle of the summer. I've been looking at pea shellers, since I'm not looking forward to hand shelling peas. Since I'm not growing a huge amount of peas, a small, manual sheller would do just fine. Something like the Mr Pea Sheller. http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Manufact...F8&qid=1357322974&sr=8-1&keywords=pea+sheller .

Then I got to thinking about it and realized that pea shellers are 2 roller with a hand crank. I have a pasta maker that I used only once or twice, and was wondering if that would work. I remember seeing some chef on TV talking about using a pasta maker to shell soybeans. I think I'll give the pasta maker a try. If it doesn't work, I can always get the Mr Pea Sheller.

What do you all think?

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea to me. No sense in buying another gadget if the one you already have will do. It looks like the sheller on Amazon has rollers that will grip the pea pods and a pasta roller has hard smooth rollers. The pasta maker may squirt the pods out like I used to shoot watermelon seeds at my sister instead of gripping them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually like shelling peas. It brings back memories of going visiting and finding Granny on the front porch shelling peas. It was rude NOT to grab a wash pan (pronounced warsh pan lol) and join in. Many hours were spent on a porch shelling peas or beans. Now I shell peas inside at night when I sit down for the evening. If you aren't planting acres of peas, hand shelling can be a pleasant chore.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
I actually like shelling peas. It brings back memories of going visiting and finding Granny on the front porch shelling peas. It was rude NOT to grab a wash pan (pronounced warsh pan lol) and join in. Many hours were spent on a porch shelling peas or beans. Now I shell peas inside at night when I sit down for the evening. If you aren't planting acres of peas, hand shelling can be a pleasant chore.
Funny how those old fashioned chores evoke sweet memories. I take my green beans to my mom to snap, at her assisted living place, because she loves doing it. I know it brings back all those memories of being young and vital and busy. :/

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, I agree about doing the manual shelling. Unless of course you have Arthur Rytus always making visits or some such thing.

I seriously enjoy sitting on my porch shelling dry beans or dry peas. This day and age of everything needing to be done faster, well, some things don't need to be done faster. The slow way is quite enjoyable.

On the other hand, try the gadget you have. There may be a way to modify it to work.

Myself, I had to buy a new can opener last month. New fangled thing made in France. It stopped working, had to use a screwdriver to finish prying the lid off a can, and VOYLA, a real excellent slice on my thumb. Guy's gotta make sure his blood is good, thick and dark red every once in awhile. But ok, so yesterday when I went to town for monthly shopping, this time I bought a good old fashioned 1990 sty...(hang on, I have to laugh thinking of 1990 as old fashioned...) style manual can opener, just like the 1960 style and design, but shorter with hard plastic grips, the same kind half of you or more probably have.

Point is, some things take a gadget, without which you risk a bloody thumb. Some things they make gadgets for that without which things just go slower.

Don't worry, the thumb will heal up real quick.

jomoncon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
baymule said:
You know, I just may give that a try also. You made me remember shelling peas with my grandmother, Mamee, on her front porch.
Jo-Ann

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
To change up an old quote, take time to smell the roses, it's revised status is

Take time to shell the peas!! :lol:

Latest posts