peach tree getting eaten

rossafini

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Our peaches on our peach tree are all getting eaten by squirrels/birds/other animals :hit is there any way to stop that??

Thanks in advance,

rossafini

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know some people put nets over their trees to protect against birds.

Some plants, like garlic, onions, marigolds and some herbs will help repel a lot of animals and pests.

Making a good garlic and pepper spray will help also, but shouldn't be sprayed when they're fruiting because they may have a small trace of that taste. Put 1-2 heads of chopped garlic in a about 2 gallons of water and add a bunch of dried hot peppers and let boil. (make sure there is good ventilation) let sit over night in a container. Spray the trees the next day. It works great against birds and bugs and I would assume other pests.

rossafini

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thank you soooo much!!!:weee:woot

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Deer are the main culprits around my fruit trees. They actually stand on their back legs to reach up higher to prune the tender tips. You sure you don't have some midnight browsers?

You could stake some chicken wire around the tree, far enough out that the deer can't reach in and prune, and high enough they can't jump it. I tried the commercial deer repellent, but that didn't seem to work, other than my dog wouldn't pee on them.:rolleyes:

rossafini

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I didn't think of deer before!! Thanks I think I will put chicken wire or something.

Thanks!:hugs

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Here are the options that have worked for me:

-Dog
-Solid 6' fence
-If it's venison, shoot it.
MMMM, MMMM Fresh BBQ venison with a peach chutney! Sounds good to me.:)

Funny how deer torment my garden all summer, but opening day of deer season, and they are gone. I swear they know the exact date. :|

One fellow told me I should hang those large flashy fishing lures, called flashers, or dodgers, off the trees. Apparently the slightest breeze will spin them, and scare off the deer. I have been thinking about one of those motion detector sprinklers, which apparently work quite well. My fear is I will be walking a friend around the yard, showing them the gardens, having forgotten to turn off the tap....:eek::eek:

rossafini

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do you like my avatar?? FYI it's David Beckham

KayRI

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Squirrels were always a problem with my peach trees. One year I tried to net the tree and the squirrels chewed through the plastic netting, ran around on the tree inside the netting, kicking holes and knocking down peaches , then chewed another hole on the other side of the netting to get out! I set the have-a heart trap, but all I caought were the poor, silly skunks.

Lat year we had so many peaches, I didn't care if they took a hundred or so. This year, I don't know what will happen.